[LIS-Forum] Combating predatory academic journals and conferences

Koteswara Rao Mamidi mk-rao at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 18 12:22:50 IST 2022

Dear friends,
We have seen enough propaganda of ‘borrowed ideas’ from the West that are being brought to our notice in this forum by some people. We are certainly aware of what’s happening in our country and who is responsible for this predatory journals menace  The UGC had already prepared the CARE list (with some controversies) but never dared to identify the (LIS) people who publish these predatory journals and the people who sit on their editorial boards. Is it that difficult?
It is shameful to say that India is a major hub of predatory publishing without really taking action on such people and agencies. There is no need for us to be told by some foreign person or agency to take steps to curb the menace. We already have the tools and methods to identify predatory journals. Can’t UGC or ILA prepare a list of such journals in LIS in India?

Dr M Koteswara Rao
Former Librarian
University of Hyderabad