[LIS-Forum] Fwd: Preprints - future of scientific publication

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 16:12:43 IST 2022

Friends,

About 40 years a group of doctors and surgeons in Chennai (where I live)
did something remarkable. Higher education institutions and research
centres were struggling to find funds for subscribing to important
journals. The foreign exchange position was very tight. Journal sections of
libraries even in leading institutions were famished. But researchers and
students needed the latest literature. This small group thought they could
do something at least for practising doctors.

We talk about jugad and doing the best one could do at any given situation,
and finding affordable solutions to the crises we face. This group of
medical professionals did exactly that, and they have now told how they did
it. They deserve to be congratulated not only for what they did but also
for making their story freely accessible to the world through this six-page
OA article
DISSEMINATING MEDICAL LITERATURE AND KNOWLEDGE  IN INDIA IN THE 1980S: THE
SMLRT STORY
 https://jmla.mlanet.org/ojs/jmla/article/view/1424

With best wishes,

Arun