[LIS-Forum] OA repositories in India

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:15:01 IST 2022

About the Indian medical research community in India.
Some of the most well informed Indian researchers are medical researchers.
Added to that they also write and communicate very well (in English). To
name a few I have known personally, Valiathan, Sunil Pandya, Samiran Nundy,
Sanjay Pai, Peush Sahni, ...

Some of the better run Indian S&T journals are medical journals (e.g. NMJI,
IJME in both of which I have published and am grateful to the editors and
referees who improved my script and also the content, and the many journals
my friend D K Sahu published under the MedKnow banner).

The community is open to welcoming ideas from others. At a meeting of the
IMA Southern India chapter(?) held many years ago (at Hotel Savera in
Chennai), they had a 3hr session of talks by non-medicos such as M S
Swaminathan, public cause lawyer Sriram Panchu and, despite the lowly
status, yours truly.

Recently, as part of a campaign to promote preprinits as the new normal in
scholarly communication, I had a discussion with a few medical researchers
and editors and I enjoyed every moment of it. Of course, I have not been
able to convince them yet, but the exchange was pleasant throughout and it
was a learning experience for me. The doctors I spoke to are well informed
about developments in OA.

In the past two years, thanks to the pandemic, OA uptake among biomedical
researchers picked up at a pretty fast pace around the world so much so
even the commercial publishers made Covid-related papers OA.

Awareness is not the problem. Callousness of authors who perform research
with taxpayers ' support but give away all the rights to publishers and the
HEIs and RPIs which permit such things to happen are.  Also the Govt
agencies who fund such research but not insist/mandate OA for all
publications resulting from their support are.

In your training programmes, you may, if you are convinced, introduce a
short presentation on why it is unethical and immoral to publish publicly
funded research in paywalled journals. Tell them a company called Elsevier
is SELLING unedited manuscripts to whoever wants to buy them. There is an
ongoing discussion in Twitter. The author could have made it freely
accessible to all by placing it in a repository!

Best wishes.

Subbiah Arunachalam