[LIS-Forum] Pirates of the world, unite and pirate everything I’ve ever written! - Paulo Coelho

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 01:13:41 IST 2022

Friends,

Allow me to add my two cents to the discussion generated by Mr Muthu
Madhan's post on Paulo Coelho's 'interesting call.'

Is Ms Alextandra Elbakyan a thief, or is she stealing from others?  No, she
is not a thief nor is she stealing from others. What she is doing is
helping researchers achieve what they want to achieve but cannot achieve as
individuals.

Why do researchers around the world (including the tens of thousands in
India and the rest of the Global South) write up their findings? Because
they want to make their findings known to other researchers around the
world, who in turn can use the findings along with the findings of many
other researchers in their own research. As Sir Isaac Newton famously said
in a letter he wrote to Robert Hooke as far back as 1675, "If I have seen
further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." By shoulders of
giants, Newton meant the work of others. It is important for us to remember
what Prof. Robert Merton has said about science; it is a communal (or
community) activity, a collective enterprise of building knowledge brick by
brick, the bricks coming from thousands of researchers and research groups
(past and current), and institutions around the world. Ms Elbakyan and
SciHub are making it possible for individual researchers around the world,
no matter where they live and work, to make their own contribution by
facilitating access to the bricks made by others. All one needs is access
to the Internet and a device (say a laptop or mobile phone). At a scale
unimaginable till two or three decades ago. She deserves to be rewarded for
her innovative solution to a long standing problem (of access to relevant
information) and not accused of thievery. Whose work is she making
available to researchers (and whoever is interested)? The work of
researchers which they want to give away to others so it could be read,
used to advance knowledge and used in other ways, say in teaching and in
treating patients in hospitals. As far as I know, no researcher has
objected to Elbakyan making their work available to a worldwide audience.
In the course of my work I meet a number of physicists, and they all make
their preprints available through arXiv. In recent years, biologists and
chemists have started placing their preprints in bioRxiv and chemRxiv. Why?
All of them want their work to be known by researchers all over the world
and almost immediately. Which is exactly what Ms Elbakyan is doing. Which
is what Aaron Swartz tried to do before his untimely death in 2013 at the
age of 26.

No owner of scientific/scholarly knowledge has objected to Elbakyan making
their work publicly accessible or dragged SciHub to court. It is some
intermediaries who use scientific journal publishing as 'a perpetual
financing machine' (I did not coin this term; it was coined by the man who
actually showed that journal publishing is a perpetual financing machine,
Mr Robert Maxwell), who are suing SciHub and Ms Elbakyan. Please see
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/13/
scientific-publishing-rip-off-taxpayers-fund-research . If you want to hear
it from an Indian expert, please listen to the last 13 minutes of Prof.
Balaram's 22-minute talk at the IISc DST CPR OA Week 2021 webinar. [
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCoJUrqeQA&t=3s; see from 08.45]. In
reality, it is these intermediaries (unfortunately, including a large
professional society) who are keen to protect their revenue and profit
margins at the expense of science, scientists and knowledge production who
have gone to court.
Does it cost money to produce knowledge? Undoubtedly, yes. You can't build
and sustain  TIFRs, IITs, IISc and other centres of scientific learning and
knowledge production without investing huge sums of money. That is why
enlightened governments and philanthropic organizations around the world
continue to invest huge sums on setting up such institutions and supporting
the research and allied activities of the scientists and students working
in these and other research institutions. Often, governments have to make
choices such as should one invest their limited resources in scientific
research or should one invest in poverty alleviation or providing noon meal
to poor children who might not otherwise be able to attend schools.
Obviously, scientists and their institutions must be aware of the need to
spend the funds with utmost care. That is why we should not support
publishers who have made 'journal publishing a perpetual financing machine'
and who report upwards of 35% profit year after year. That is why we should
persuade our government and its various agencies not to underwrite the
immoral and unethical practice of paying APC to journal publishers. That is
why we should collectively insist that the many institutional archives and
central repositories in our country be run professionally. Please
visit    *https://kisdfoundation.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/The-Top-21-Free-Online-Journal-and-Research-Databases.pdf
<https://kisdfoundation.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/The-Top-21-Free-Online-Journal-and-Research-Databases.pdf>*
.

And if you have not watched the European Open Science Conference (EOSC
2022) held online on 4 and 5 February, please watch it. The replay will
soon be up, any day this week, on the EOSC website.

Thanks Madhan for starting this discussion.

Subbiah Arunachalam

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 6:50 PM madhan muthu <mu.madhan at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Arun

http://orcid.org/0000-0002-4398-4658