[LIS-Forum] Science Policy, Competition and Profits

madhan muthu mu.madhan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 20:36:38 IST 2021

https://www.indialegallive.com/column-news/open-science-policy-e-shodh-sindhushodh-ganga/

As far as commercial publications are concerned, under the present laws, we
will have to depend upon a more efficient and expanded version of
E-ShodhSindhu. This would mean that the service should be available to any
organisation at bulk subsidised rates in a cafeteria format. The charges
could be indexed so that smaller bundles cost less and the charges increase
progressively with the size of the bundle. In the meantime, the government
can also set up a website where sources (national and international)
providing free downloads of documents on different topics are listed.

Meanwhile, we must be quite clear that Sci-Hub and Library Genesis are
providing an enormously useful service to scholars all over the world. It
will be a long time before any official agency in India will be able to
provide a comparable service. The best we can hope for is that the court
cases against them languish for as long as possible as they do for much
less laudable causes.