[LIS-Forum] Vice Chancellor’s Conclave through Webinar - 12 June 2020; 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Soji Mathew soji at informaticsglobal.com
Tue Jun 9 16:25:56 IST 2020

Informatics is pleased to announce an Online Vice Chancellor’s Conclave through Webinar on "Post Covid Education Scenario: Will libraries weather the storm or wilt away?"

Panelists:
1. Prof. T. D. Kemparaju, Vice Chancellor, Bangalore North University, Bangalore
2. Prof. Roshan Lal Raina, Vice Chancellor, JK Lakshmipat University, Jaipur
3. Prof. V. G. Talawar, Former Vice Chancellor, University of Mysore; Advisor, Reva University, Bangalore

Anchor:
Prof. Shalini Urs, Founder and Trustee, MYRA School of Business, Mysore; Former Professor and Head, Department of Library & Information Science, Mysore

Date & Time:  12 June 2020; 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM.

About the Topic:
The unprecedented coronavirus pandemic has further heightened the VUCA (Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity and Ambiguity) of our world since a couple of decades. The need for any system to be agile and adapt has never been more pronounced than now. All systems including education and libraries have been called not to be slavish to old practices and methods or even old paradigms and philosophies.  While libraries’ role and relevance in the education process and academic life has always been considered central, in practice it has not necessarily been embedded as such.

While educationists are debating and envisioning a new order for education, leaning more and more towards eLearning, it is time for the library world to re-imagine the ways and means of embedding the library processes and services into the emergent online educational systems and processes. Online search has been a standard way of scholarly literature search since the 1970s, long before eLearning and campus networking in universities and colleges. With the emergence of digital libraries in the 1990s, embedding them into emergent learning systems including MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) and being an integral part of OER (Open Educational Resources) has become seamless. Yet, often the Library and Information Science (LIS) profession justifiably feels left out in its role as a key stakeholder in the overall education ecosystem. The role of new age libraries did not even merit a chapter in the New Education Policy, 2019.

How did we get here? Did we, the LIS profession, fail to make our presence felt and role revitalized? Or is it due to disruptive technologies? Or is it because of blinkered policy makers and education systems? How do we reclaim our position? What strategic and tactical plan is the need of the hour? Quo Vadis?

Come and register yourself to the third in series of National Webinar Series of Informatics:
http://bit.ly/IPLVCConclave

Regards,
Informatics Publishing Limited, Bangalore