[LIS-Forum] How to make available out of print books again

Vimal Kumar V. vimal0212 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:39:57 IST 2020

Some books are once popular among readers now no reprint available due to
entire sold-out copies. Still out of print books have high demand.
Following are the example of two books in Library and Information Science
sold out, and yet, readers want to buy.

MCQ in Library and Information Science by A. Y. Asundi
Library Automation: Design, Principles and Practice by L. J. Haravu.

Authors and publishers are not interested in print again the same books due
to various reasons. High printing cost is the main reason.  Often the
authors have to pay the printing cost in advance. If the reprinted copies
not sold out, end in a loss for the publishers.

Paperback copies of sold-out books can make available with the help of
Print-on-demand service. Either authors and publisher need to take the
initiative to make available the book again. Softcopy of the book can
format with the help of a layout professional. Find a print-on-demand
service in India (e.g. pothi.com, notionpress.com).  Upload the manuscript
and cover to the print-on-demand service website.  Assign price, including
printing cost per book, and royalty to the author. Print-on-demand service
does not require any upfront cost from authors or publishers and no need to
print the copies of books in advance. This method also can apply to publish
new books.

Print-on-demand publishing uses printing technology to produce books one at
a time. The books are printed when the orders come in. Therefore, if you
have an order of 100 books, you can print 100 books. If a person who wants
one copy of the book, they can print just one book. Print-on-demand
publishing cut down publishing expense and eliminates the need for space to
store unsold copies.

--
Dr Vimal Kumar V.
Technical Assistant

My Home Page: http://www.vimalkumar.info
My Blogs: http://linuxhalwa.blogspot.com http://kohageek.blogspot.com
http://dspacegeek.blogspot.com http://moovandan.blogspot.com
"I forget what I was taught. I only remember what I have learnt"
-Patrick White