[LIS-Forum] Remote Authentication - Review

Francis Jayakanth francis at iisc.ac.in
Fri Jul 10 12:57:26 IST 2020

Dear Dr. Sellen, Of the several products that you have listed, except for Shibboleth, I have no idea about other products.

Our institute has facilitated VPN access to get connected to the campus network from off-campus sites. During the lockdown,  most of our students, staff, and faculty were away from the campus, and we anticipated substantial demand for off-campus access to online resources. Therefore, to reduce the load on the VPN server, we implemented Shibboleth-based off-campus access to most of our subscribed resources. Shibboleth is a standards-based, open-source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner (https://www.shibboleth.net/)

Implementation of Shibboleth has to be done in coordination with the INFLIBNET Access Management Federation (INFED). Mr. V. Raja, Scientist-B, INFLIBNET is the contact person for Shibboleth implementation. His contact details are Email - raja at inflibnet.ac.in, Mobile No. +917893486420.

Mr. Raja has vast experience and expertise in implementing Shibboleth IdP server. He has heled several universities in the county to implement their Shibboleth Identity Provider service. He was of great help to us while we did our implementation at IISc.

Hope this helps.

With regards, Francis

JRD Tata Memorial Library
IISc.