[LIS-Forum] SciHub - Delhi High Court ruling is out

Koteswara Rao Mamidi mk-rao at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 27 08:50:20 IST 2020

What Dr Vineet said is absolutely true. On one side the academicians/researchers continue to publish in journals behind paywall by giving up their copyrights, and at the same time cry for ‘free access to research’. Why can’t they publish only in OA journals? The ACS is not a commercial publisher but behaves like one, why? Can anyone answer why the learned societies and professional associations have not been able to shoulder the responsibility of free access to research? Why major commercial and society publishers are increasingly moving into the APC‐funded OA market.

The journal subscription model is pretty old and is accepted by the academic community for centuries, but unfortunately some publishing giants have become too greedy. During the last two and half decades people tried different alternative models such as open access both green and gold routes; Creative Commons Licensing; Institutional Repositories; library consortia; delayed OA through embargo, etc., but could not bring the required change in the publishing pattern. The funding agencies only dictate free access to research but have no solution to offer. Recently they proposed Plan-S, and we have to wait and see if it is possible for researchers to bypass journals’ restrictions on open access publishing.
Everyone wants free access to information, but not by violating copyright laws. Perhaps we need to think of changing the copyright laws! In the race for free access to research information, I think we are destroying the quality and standard of scientific research and scholarship which is evident from copyright infringements, the proliferation of predatory journals with low-quality research papers, and OA journals charging APC, etc. Even the research network Academia.edu which started as a free service now charges a premium. Ultimately, it is the knowledge creators (authors) and not the librarians, who have to ‘bell the cat’ or tame the big publishers to bring down journal subscription prices.

Dr M Koteswara Rao