[LIS-Forum] Sci-Hub Case: The Court Should Protect Science From Greedy Academic Publishers

Vasumathi Sriganesh (QMed) vasu at qmedkf.org.in
Fri Dec 25 07:50:15 IST 2020

This is an interesting and burning topic, and I request everyone to
contribute and have a healthy discussion! Everyone is entitled to have
his/her viewpoint. Let us be completely open to learn, have a very academic
discussion and see if we can do anything to make any change, even if it is
only a beginning. Let us not judge anyone.

My view points:

The needs as I see them:
1. Academicians and researchers NEED research information
2. Publishers publish books / journals and more research resources. Their
employees need to get money for their work, just like academicians and
researchers do
3. The world needs to arrive at an answer for how research publications can
reach everyone either free or at very affordable costs

How I view SciHub, publishers and those who need research (Strictly my view
points as of this moment; I am open to listen to different viewpoints -
will all respect)

1. Sci Hub is not taking the best approach to solve the problem - by
putting in stuff that they (apparently) hack from established sources and
hosting it on their site. In my viewpoint they are trying to take a Robin
Hood approach
2. Publishers need to arrive at a model of making the money they need, but
constantly work at the best, cost effective solutions. Personally I feel
that the more volumes they seek, they can bring down pricing. Of course
there are lots of "open to interpretation" concepts here. What is the
"money they need"? Very tough question!
3. Users - research users - need to learn lots more about intellectual
property and copyright. The copyright charges for an article, being very
high is debatable, but as long as IP laws exist, they need to either pay
the CR fee, or get an article through a library

I have come across PG medical students who have told me that articles they
need are not free online. When I ask - have you checked your library - they
get embarrassed because they have not! The internet is expected to be their
instant gratification area
In another mailing list - an academician wrote - through Sci Hub I get an
article in one click. On my University Library website - I have to go
through 5 levels of security. Why is this security feature there... it is
to protect this user! But - people need things "instantly"!

Security and easy access - need a balance, not at all easy though. So - I
believe there is lots more user education required for this part

In an article, I had also read that the people behind Sci-Hub appear to
have a long term goal of serious data-hacking. The article says - why would
one lady spend so much time to give out research information free by using
illegal methods? And moving so many articles from server to server - who
pays her to do all this? Why would she do this free?  Very thought
provoking questions

Once again request - *please only share view points*. Please do not judge
others' view points

Vasumathi Sriganesh
QMed Knowledge Foundation
A-3, Shubham Center, Cardinal Gracious Road
Chakala, Andheri East, Mumbai 400099, India
Tel: 91-22-40054474    Mob: +919867292230
Email: vasu at qmed.ngo  Web:www.qmed.ngo
MMC Speaker Code - MMC/MASS/00030/2016
Member: Academy of Health Professions Education
Our online courses - www.qmedcourses.in