[LIS-Forum] Sci-Hub Case: The Court Should Protect Science From Greedy Academic Publishers

Vinit Kumar vinitbhu06 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 19:55:57 IST 2020

These pirate websites are killing revenue of academic publishers indirectly
harming science communication. To compensate their losses due to these
pirate websites the publishers increase subscription costs which are again
have to paid by funding agencies.
No doubt reforms are needed to regress academic publishers' increasing
subscription prices and Article Processing Fees but such kind of gross
copyright infringements will hamper publishers' rights and ultimately
reduce the publication avenues for authors. We have seen mushrooming of low
quality free journals in recent years compelling UGC to come up with a
white list. The copyright laws are to promote and incentivise intellectual
output by protecting the rights of creaters.

In my opinion, rather than asking everything for free we need to increase
funding towards research.

Regards --
Vinit Kumar, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Library and Information Science,
Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (A central university)
Lucknow
226025

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and
may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in
error, please contact the sender and delete the email and attachment. Any
views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow.