[LIS-Forum] BOOK PURCHASE THROUGH ONLINE PORTALS? SOME POINTS TO PONDER

T. Shahab .TANWIR tshahab at jamiahamdard.ac.in
Mon Oct 28 10:30:44 IST 2019

Sirs,
Very, very relevant feedback. The thoughtful remarks have highlighted
salient peculiarities and difficulties in managing book purchases through
the online portals as an alternative to the standard library practice of
dealing with registered book suppliers, vendors, etc.
Further, I will like to point-out the issue of payment. Whereas, most
libraries deal in credits, online payments at the word go will have to be
made while ordering for books through Amazon/Flipkart, etc. Faculty members
will never like to spend from their own packets hoping for reimbursement
after the interval of 2-3 weeks. Librarians will also not like to get
involved in view of the varying discount rates for different copies of the
same title. To obtain the price proof from the publishers' catalog is
another big headache.
Thanks & regards,
T. Shahab