[LIS-Forum] 25th Year to LIS-Forum...Thank you for making it a silver jubilee Forum!

Ananda Byrappa anand.byrappa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 12:30:09 IST 2019

Dear LIS friends,

Greetings from IISc Library team!.

It’s our pleasure to let you all know that, your lis-forum is into its
Silver Jubilee Year.

As many of you are aware, LIS-forum was conceived and implemented by Late
Dr. TB Rajashekar and his team at NCSI, IISc in the year 1995 with
financial support from NISSAT, DSIR, Govt. of India. Entire NCSI team had
worked on this to ensure its success through creation of awareness and
penetration of the forum among LIS-community across the nation. The roots
went so deep and became stronger as a result today we see the Forum as one
of the most popular, credible and reliable text based discussion forum for
the LIS community in India and the forum has many subscribers from outside
India too.

Personally, I was fortunate to see the beginnings of LIS-Forum as I was a
trainee at NCSI. The forum has played a key in my professional learning and
growth - particularly to know accomplished professionals and their views on
various topics. I always cherished reading emails from experts. I have read
some experts emails multiple times...as they were informative and
insightful...

Thank you for being part of the forum, choosing it as your platform for
communication. You, your association with the forum and your communications
on the forum made it what it is today. Entire LIS-community has benefited
from it.  Looking forward to your continued support to retain the Forum as
a preferred communication channel.

Sustenance of LIS-forum for 25 years was not an easy task. Sad demise of
Dr.TB Rajashekar and closure/merger of NCSI  made it really difficult.
However, Dr. Francis Jayakanth, JRD Tata Memorial Library, is the one who
stood behind this and ensured that it worked for us  flawlessly and made it
always available for our LIS- community. He did this job even when he was
on Lien for 2 years . Dr. Francis Upgraded the software recently and we are
currently hosting it on a new server at the IISc. Library.

Dr. Francis, we can’t thank you enough for your professional commitment and
ownership to the forum....we owe you a lot....we wish you will have courage
and commitment to extend support.

In today’s social media driven world, text based discussion forums may look
dry and dull. However, for serious, clean and clear communications text
based forums are still preferred - world over. And LIS-forum is one of its
kind. That doesn’t mean that we don’t look forward to upgrade it to next
level -  please share your thoughts briefly and will see if we all can work
together on them.....

Best Regards,
Anand.

Anand Byrappa  Ph.D.
Head- Office of Data and JRD Tata Memorial Library
Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
Bangalore 560012.  INDIA.

Phone: 91-80-2903 2407