[LIS-Forum] Interesting Reads – 2018-09-26

Mohan Hr hrmohan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 19:48:28 IST 2018

*Interesting Reads – 2018-09-26*

*Contents*

*Articles*

   - Journalism, 'Fake News' and Disinformation: A Handbook for Journalism
   Education and Training
   - 23 principles for beneficial AI: Tech leaders establish new guidelines
   - Buddha in Business: Are you an enlightened entrepreneur?
   - Nurturing your Network: Top Tips
   - Genes, joules or gut bugs: which one is most to blame when it comes to
   weight gain?
   - Here are the Top Online Scams You Need to Avoid Today
   - Gasping for Air in India’s Industrial North
   - Microrobots: Bigger than they seem
   - 33 Industries Other Than Auto That Driverless Cars Could Turn Upside
   Down
   - iOS vs. Android Compare the Mobile OSes

*Events / Announcements*

   - KLA National Conference on Corporate and Media Librarianship – Call
   for Papers
   - SPIN Chennai: Workshop on Statistical Methods For Process Management
   - 1st Libertatem National Essay Writing Competition

Read at http://infoforuse.blogspot.com/2018/09/interesting-reads-201
8-09-26.html

Archives at http://infoforuse.blogspot.com/2018/05/interesting-reads-arc
hives.html

*======================================================== *

*Articles*

*Journalism, 'Fake News' and Disinformation: A Handbook for Journalism
Education and Training*

This new publication by UNESCO is a timely resource and highly topical
subject for all those who practice or teach journalism in this Digital Age.
Political parties, health professionals, business people, scientists,
election monitors and others will also find the handbook useful in
navigating the information disorder.

Written by experts in the fight against disinformation, this handbook
explores the very nature of journalism - with modules on why trust matters;
thinking critically about how digital technology and social platforms are
conduits of the information disorder; fighting back against disinformation
and misinformation through media and information literacy; fact-checking
101; social media verification and combatting online abuse.

Weblink <https://en.unesco.org/fightfakenews/modules>

*23 principles for beneficial AI: Tech leaders establish new guidelines*

Tesla CEO Elon Musk, DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis, and nearly 1,000
other leaders in AI just signed guidelines for developing safe AI. Here's
are the highlights, and what it means.

Full post
<https://www.techrepublic.com/article/23-principals-for-beneficial-ai-tech-leaders-establish-new-guidelines/>

Related story <https://futureoflife.org/ai-principles/>: Asilomar
Principles — a set of 23 points

*Buddha in Business: Are you an enlightened entrepreneur?*

Like most religions, Buddhism has been about good tenets for good living.
Obsessed as we are with entrepreneurship, we were curious to explore
whether a Buddhist approach would help entrepreneurs build and implement
logical, vision-aligned business models. Read the first in the twelve-part
series and start following the rest.

Full post
<https://weekender.yourstory.com/post/buddha-in-business-enlightened-entrepreneur>

*Nurturing your Network: Top Tips*

These days we tend to consider ourselves pretty well connected. Thanks to
social media, ‘followers’, ‘friends’ and ‘connections’ are being forged on
a daily basis. Has the internet revolution made networking easier? Do we
all know one another better? Probably not.

Full post
<https://www.executivegrapevine.com/content/article/insight-2018-04-10-nurturing-your-network-top-tips>

*Genes, joules or gut bugs: which one is most to blame when it comes to
weight gain?*

With obesity on the rise, so too is the diet and weight loss industry,
currently valued at US$70 billion in the US alone. But most of us are still
confused about the factors that lead to weight gain. Three commonly
attributed factors are our genes, our microbiome (gut bugs) and our energy
intake (kilojoules). So let’s examine how much each of these is to blame.

Full story
<https://theconversation.com/genes-joules-or-gut-bugs-which-one-is-most-to-blame-when-it-comes-to-weight-gain-102266>

*Here are the Top Online Scams You Need to Avoid Today*

We truly want to believe that the Internet is a safe place where you can’t
fall for all types of online scams, but it’s always good reminder to do a
“reality check”. We, humans, can become an easy target for malicious actors
who want to steal our most valuable personal data.

Criminal minds can reach these days further than before, into our private
lives, our homes and work offices. And there is little we can do about it.
Attack tactics and tools vary from traditional attack vectors, which use
malicious software and vulnerabilities present in almost all the programs
and apps (even in the popular Windows operating systems), to ingenious
phishing scams deployed from unexpected regions of the world, where justice
can’t easily reach out to catch the eventual perpetrators.

Use the links in the post to quickly navigate the list of online scams and
see the top online scams you need to stay away from right now.

Full post <https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/top-online-scams/>

*Gasping for Air in India’s Industrial North*

Air pollution kills one million Indians annually. In the northern city of
Patna, the problem shaves four years, on average, off residents’ lives.

Full story <https://undark.org/article/air-pollution-patna/>

*Microrobots: Bigger than they seem*

Using insects as templates, researchers are buildings robots that are very
small, very mobile—and very useful.

Full post
<https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/articles/microrobots-bigger-than-they-seem-1808.html>

*33 Industries Other Than Auto That Driverless Cars Could Turn Upside Down*

Fast food, real estate, military operations, even home improvement — many
large industries will have to shift their strategies in the wake of
driverless cars.

It’s all but a certainty that autonomous or driverless vehicles will be
widely used in the United States at some point over the next two decades.

Already, over two dozen major corporates including Google, Apple, and
Mercedes Benz are hard at work building their own self-driving vehicles.
Tesla’s Model S includes an autopilot mode which gives it semi-autonomous
capabilities.

Clearly, tech and auto companies stand to gain, but many other industries
could face serious upheavals unless they are able to adapt to the many
changes self-driving cars will bring to the market.

Below, we dive into 33 industries, from the obvious (professional driving &
trucking) to the more surprising (fitness?), that will be shaken up by the
advent of autonomous vehicles.

Full story
<https://www.cbinsights.com/research/13-industries-disrupted-driverless-cars/>

*iOS vs. Android Compare the Mobile OSes*

Download this e-guide to compare the iOS and Android OSes and the security
features of each.

Weblink
<https://cdn.ttgtmedia.com/searchMobileComputing/Downloads/Android_vs._iOS.pdf>

*Events / Announcements*

*KLA National Conference on Corporate and Media Librarianship – Call for
Papers*

A corporate library or information service is a unit within a corporate
body providing the information that the staff need to carry out the work of
the organization. Corporate bodies include business firms engaged in retail
and manufacture, law firms, consultancies, other commercial entities like
banks and insurance firms, professional trade bodies and non-governmental
organizations. Many of the media organizations such as newspapers and
broadcasting can also be brought within the purview of corporates by virtue
of their nature and style of functioning, but they are marked by a distinct
identity based on their common function. Corporate and media information
services naturally reflect their parent organizations and are therefore
various and heterogeneous. Yet, across all organizations, they face similar
challenges. The primary challenge is to prove their worth when the main
function of the parent organizations is not officially information
provision or learning. The role of the information professional in such a
context is particularly challenging. There is a whole gamut of information
which can be provided by the information centres, but the parent body may
not always try to obtain them from a dedicated information service. In a
scenario where information is abundantly available to end users,
information professionals today must ask themselves what value their
special skills add to their organization. Moreover, the complexity of when,
where, and how information is accessed, has created a new set of
responsibilities related to managing internal and external information
resources.

It is in this background that Kerala Library Association (KLA) is
organizing a national conference on Corporate and Media Librarianship
during 14-15 Dec. 2018 at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.

Last date of receipt of the abstract: 15 October 2018

Brochure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zAWbucwCzwfV_lxJX7fGFnYl0zN
cAZYv/view?usp=sharing

Call for Paper at  https://klaweblog.wordpress.c
om/2018/07/16/kla-national-conference-on-corporate-and-media
-librarianship-23-24-nov-2018-first-announcement-call-for-papers/

Contact: General Convener: Dr. Vijayakumar, K. P., President, Kerala
Library Association

E-mail: kpvijayakumar2 at gmail.com  Mobile: 9496749901

*SPIN Chennai: Workshop on Statistical Methods For Process Management*

Join the Workshop on Statistical Methods For Process Management with Sriram
- Statistics Expert on 13th October 2018, Saturday at Conf. Hall, Alumni
Center, College of Engineering, Anna Univ., Chennai

Checkout more details @ http://spinchennai.org/events/
event/workshop-on-statistical-methods-for-process-management/

Get your tickets @ https://in.explara.com/e/workshop-on-statistical-methods-
for-process-management

*1st Libertatem National Essay Writing Competition*

The Theme of the Essay Competition is: Is today's India Jeopardising its
Constitutional Principles. The theme is also divided into 6 sub-themes
which are:

   1. The Crisis of Seniority in the Supreme Court Elevations - The
   Cornerstone of Legislature and Judicial Relationship
   2. The Debate around Article 35A of the Indian Constitution - Will it
   erode the Autonomy of Jammu & Kashmir?
   3. The Nightmare of Assamese People - The NRC and the Proposed
   Citizenship Amendment Bill
   4. The Arrests of Activists - Is it an attack on Freedom of Speech or is
   justified in the name of National Security?
   5. The Issue of 'Office of Profit’ in the light of disqualification of
   20 MLAs of the Aam Aadmi Party
   6. “I am what I am, So take me as I am”: Section 377 Verdict and the way
   forward

The Registration for the Essay Competition is open till October 10, 2018,
and the fee is Rs. 300. Prize Details are mentioned in the brochure.

For more details, please visit: https://goo.gl/ff9Mjv

*Archives of Interesting Reads  *

To access the past posts of Interesting Reads, pl. visit

http://infoforuse.blogspot.in/2018/05/interesting-reads-archives.html

*Feedback*

We will be pleased to have your feedback on the “Interesting Reads” posts
being sent once in five days.

Pl. share the links of any interesting things you come across so that we
can include them in these email posts.

Also, pl. share the email ids of your colleagues, friends, peers and
contacts, if you want them to be included in the google group to get
regular posts.

Pl. send all your communications to hrmohan.ieee at gmail.com

With regards

HR Mohan