[LIS-Forum] Interesting Reads – 2018-06-16

Mohan Hr hrmohan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 00:23:39 IST 2018

*Interesting Reads – 2018-06-16*

*Generation AI: What happens when your child's friend is an AI toy that
talks back?*

‘My Friend Cayla’ is an internet-connected doll that uses voice recognition
technology to chat and interact with children in real time. Cayla’s
conversations are recorded and transmitted online to a voice analysis
company.

This raised concerns that hackers might spy on children or communicate
directly with them as they play with the doll. There are also concerns
about how kids’ voice data is used. In 2017 German regulators urged parents
to destroy the doll, classifying it as an “illegal espionage apparatus”.

Cayla is just one example of a new wave of artificial intelligence (AI)
toys that “befriend” children. Manufacturers often claim they are
educational, enhancing play and helping children develop social skills. But
consumer groups warn that smart toys, like other “things” we connect to the
internet, might put security and privacy at risk.

In the following Q&A, Kay Firth-Butterfield, the World Economic Forum’s
Head of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, explains how to
navigate a world where AI toys are increasingly popular.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/05/generation-ai-what-
happens-when-your-childs-invisible-friend-is-an-ai-toy-that-talks-back/

*Systems Confrontation and System Destruction Warfare: How the Chinese
People's Liberation Army Seeks to Wage Modern Warfare*

This 142 pages report reflects an attempt to understand current thinking in
the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) regarding system of systems and
systems warfare, as well as current methods of warfighting. It also serves
as a guidebook to the already substantial number of systems and
systems-related concepts that abound in PLA sources. By examining numerous
Chinese-language materials, this report (1) explores how the PLA
understands systems confrontation and comprehends prosecuting system
destruction warfare, (2) identifies the components of the PLA's own
operational system by looking at the various potential subsystem components
and how they are connected, and (3) examines selected PLA operational
systems identified in PLA literature and envisioned by the PLA to prosecute
its campaigns, such as the firepower warfare operational system. This
report should be of interest to military analysts and scholars of the PLA,
policymakers, and anyone else who seeks insight into how the PLA
conceptualizes and seeks to wage modern warfare.

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/
RR1700/RR1708/RAND_RR1708.pdf

*94% of IT graduates not fit for hiring: Tech Mahindra CEO*

Tech Mahindra CEO C P Gurnani is laying the foundation for the next level
of growth at his company. Skilling of manpower and logging into new-age
technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), blockchain,
cyber-security and machine learning remain the biggest challenge for Indian
IT players, says Gurnani in an exclusive interview to TOI

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/
94-of-it-grads-not-fit-for-hiring-techm-ceo/articleshow/64442037.cms

*17 Statistics Showcasing the Role of Data in Digital Transformation*

The new imperative for enterprise organizations has become deliver on new
customer experiences and business models before your competitors - be the
disruptor rather than the disrupted. But this requires being able to see
transformational possibilities before they become obvious, and to act on
information proactively and predictively.

For enterprise organizations seeking accelerated growth and longevity, the
role of data and analytics in business transformation has never been
clearer. Where are most when it comes to using data and analytics to inform
and inspire? Where should organizations be focusing investments? Here are
17 statistics showcasing the current and future role of data in digital
transformation:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/17-statistics-showcasing-
role-data-digital-tricia-morris/

*10 brilliant PowerPoint hacks that you need to know!*

Presentations are a necessary evil in the corporate world. Estimates show
that there are 20 million presentations that are made every single day. Yet
sadly, most of them doesn't invoke any reaction on the audience, lest
creating a deep impact. While there are no secret sauces to a great
presentation, there are some essential tips & hacks which are consistently
used by great presenters across the world. Knowing some of these hacks can
not only improve the quality of your next presentation, but also change
your outlook towards presenting content across channels.

Over my 10-year career, I had the opportunity to work on hundreds of
presentations ranging from sales pitches to project proposals to
motivational decks. While I presented some of them myself, most of them
were put together for very senior leaders in my company. Over the years, I
was thoroughly trained and mentored on churning out powerful presentations
pretty quickly and effortlessly. A partial reason for my inclination to
create good looking presentations, might be the genes that I received from
my late father who was an artist and a design engineer.

This is a humble effort to share with you the top tricks that i have picked
up along the way or learned from various presentation gurus, and use on a
regular basis while making presentations. Here they go:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-brilliant-powerpoint-hacks
-you-need-know-vivek-vijayan/

*22 eerie photos show how China uses facial recognition to track its
citizens as they travel, shop - and even use toilet paper*

There are 170 million surveillance cameras in China. By 2020, the country
hopes to have 570 million - that's nearly one camera for every two citizens.

At the same time, China is a building a national database that will
recognize any citizen withinthree seconds. Though that system probably
won't be unveiled for a number of years, facial recognition is widespread
in China.

Thanks to a large sample population and lax privacy laws, police and
private companies have led the way in developing surveillance technology
that is now being used to track travel, shopping, crime, and even toilet
paper usage.

Take a look at all the ways people's faces are being used for surveillance
- with and without their permission.

https://www.businessinsider.in/22-eerie-photos-show-how-Chin
a-uses-facial-recognition-to-track-its-citizens-as-they-tra
vel-shop-and-even-use-toilet-paper/articleshow/62893269.cms

*Why 50,000 ships are so vulnerable to cyberattacks*

The 50,000 ships sailing the sea at any one time have joined an
ever-expanding list of objects that can be hacked. Cybersecurity experts
recently displayed how easy it was to break into a ship’s navigational
equipment. This comes only a few years after researchers showed that they
could fool the GPS of a superyacht into altering course. Once upon a time
objects such as cars, toasters and tugboats only did what they were
originally designed to do. Today the problem is that they all also talk to
the internet.

https://theconversation.com/why-50-000-ships-are-so-vulnerab
le-to-cyberattacks-98041

*6 Tips to Deal with Digital Burnout*

Recently some readers told me that they have been feeling overwhelmed by
the flood of information online these days.

I feel the same. This was why I deleted my Facebook page (though I just got
back on to give it another try). It’s also why I have unsubscribed from
almost every newsletter, deleted various social media accounts, and
simplified my entire site design last year.

If you use the internet a lot like I do, you probably feel burnt out
sometimes. Digital burnout is fatigue and stress caused by prolonged use of
technology. As technology makes it easier to transmit information than ever
(which leads to a flood of information); as businesses adopt addictive web
design to keep users past the point of optimal use; and as the internet is
driven by click-bait content rather than quality (a natural occurrence when
something reaches mass adoption), we need to be more conscious about how we
use technology and the internet.

Here are 6 tips to deal with digital burnout and navigate our increasingly
digitized world.

https://personalexcellence.co/blog/digital-burnout/

*Open data, open government*

The time is now ripe for the government to create a data-driven governance
architecture

The “audacity of hope” for a country of a billion aspirations is yet to
bear result. The new wave of a technological revolution will not be from
pure data or access to consumer behaviour. The application of data and
their assimilation with solving social problems, enabling better governance
and powering elected governments to serve their citizens better is ushering
in a new revolution. When Artificial Intelligence is coupled with open
data, a real paradigm shift begins. With choice and information-sharing now
redefining consumer behaviour, every company is looking to embrace or at
least look like it is embracing the new paradigm of data-driven innovation.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/open-data-open-governm
ent/article24130636.ece

*From flying warehouses to robot toilets – five technologies that could
shape the future*

Flying warehouses, robot receptionists, smart toilets… do such innovations
sound like science fiction or part of a possible reality? Technology has
been evolving at such a rapid pace that, in the near future, our world may
well resemble that portrayed in futuristic movies, such as Blade Runner,
with intelligent robots and technologies all around us.

But what technologies will actually make a difference? Based on recent
advancements and current trends, here are five innovations that really
could shape the future.

https://theconversation.com/from-flying-warehouses-to-robot-
toilets-five-technologies-that-could-shape-the-future-81519

Earlier posts of Interesting Reads at http://infoforuse.blogspot.in/
2018/05/interesting-reads-archives.html

With regards

HR Mohan