[LIS-Forum] Are you a book lover?

Padmanabha Vyasamoorthy vyasamoorthy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:39:24 IST 2018

Book lovers won't like to miss this opportunity. I have seen books sold as
second-hand, by weight, 'pick any at XX rupees' etc but only now in
box-lots.  Warning: Only for Hyderabadis!!
======
thehindu.com
<http://www.thehindu.com/books/lock-the-box-bookchorcom-hyderabad-sale-2018/article24077087.ece>
‘Lock
The Box’ presents the city with a bountiful buffet of books
Divya Kala Bhavani
4-5 minutes
------------------------------

Books-by-weight *sales *
<http://www.thehindu.com/tag/754-702-684/sales/?utm=bodytag>are commonplace
in Hyderabad, but Guragon-based BookChor.com will be bringing something new
to the table that will surely enchant bibliophiles. Lock The Box is coming
to Hyderabad for the first time and the Facebook event page is already
seeing plenty of excitement from the city; fit all the books you want and
pay just for the box.

The boxes

   - Odysseus: Use your wit like the legendary Greek to fit a minimum of 8
   to 10 books priced at ₹999.
   - Perseus: Slay the modern Medusa with this box priced at ₹1,499. It can
   easily accommodate 15 to 17 books.
   - Hercules: The mightiest of the lot at ₹2,499 and can easily hold up to
   28 to 30 books.

The now two-year-old BookChor.com sells secondhand books online and have
completed orders from all the states of the country with a current online
readerbase of 300,000. “We have just started with offline events and apart
from this, we also have an wholesale arm. Also, we have started
collaborating with schools to convert their libraries into smart libraries
by introducing technology and other relevant books,” comments co-founder
Alok Sharma, who runs the organisation along with Bhavesh Sharma, Prateek
Maheshwari and Vidyut Sharma.

He is delighted with the universal response towards Lock The Box from the
country, “We are overwhelmed with the response we are getting on social
media, with requests from major cities. We have been getting positive
comments and feedback for our event and this is mainly because readers are
happy with the kind of offer they are getting for the books they are
getting and they are finding the concept interesting and refreshing.”

The project started out with a seed of a thought; in spite of having a
dot-com name, why not start an offline event? “We wanted to do something
interesting for readers and also ensure they do not feel burdened with the
price of the books,” explains the 24 year-old former engineer, “So, in Lock
The Box, books are not priced. It’s only three differently sized boxes
which are priced, in which readers can accommodate as many items as
possible so that no one discriminates books on the basis of price or
weight.” To add to the fun value of such an endeavour, Alok and his team
came up with prominent names for each box size: ‘Odysseus’, ‘Perseus’ and
‘Hercules’ for all the heavy-lifters at the sale.
[image: A shot from a ‘Lock The Box’ priced-by-box sale | Photo Credit
BookChor.com]

A shot from a ‘Lock The Box’ priced-by-box sale | Photo Credit BookChor.com

BookChor.com did a pilot event last November in Delhi to observe traction
where they saw a good turnout, and then requests from all over the country
to do it in their respective cities poured in, specifically from Pune,
Bengaluru and Delhi.

Following the success of these events, Alok and his team organised three
events every month in the major cities before the year end.

He avers, “At our events in Pune and Bengaluru we have seen daily visitors
from around 5,000 to 10,000. Although 60% of the people attending were from
the age group of 18 to 26, we saw a good turnout from the parents as well
buying books for their kids, which came out to be 30% of the visitors,”
adding, “It is really fortunate to see millennials turn up for the offline
book event in this digital age. Readers are actually interested in the
event and seeing them select over 28 to 30 books speaks volumes of the
growing trend of readership in India.”

Taking place at the vast space offered by Vasavi Kalyana Mandapam, the
event promises to attract hoards of students too. And it’ll be interesting
to see people fit as many books as they can, jenga-style, into one box.

*‘Lock The Box’ will be happening at Vasavi Kalyana Mandapam from June 15
to 17; 9am onwards.*

Dr P Vyasamoorthy
040-27846631 / 09490804278

 In New Gmail opening the attachment alone is possible leaving the message
unread!