[LIS-Forum] Migration from Libsys to Koha along with RFID @ NIT Rourkela

vinod mishra mishravk79 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 22:27:45 IST 2017

Dear All,

Many times question is asked by many professionals why NIT Rourkela did not
implemented Koha in their library till date? though we helped many in this
regard. Please find here the update.

NIT Rourkela from 17th May, 2017 fully migrated from Libsys along with old
RFID devices and till date it is working fine with lot of new features and
lot of work load has been reduces as per my observation.

Various automated email alerts has been started i.e. without interference
of staff which was not possible before such as:

1. Acquisition status of recommended books by faculty like accepted,
ordered and finally received
2. issued,return,renewed,overdue, renewal, reserved books etc.

Please note that Acquisition module is fully used for entire work like
budget management, order, receiving of books etc. and it is working fine
which reduced efforts with accuracy. For cataloguing z39.5 is working fine
and now we are able to maintain standard bibliographic records in minimum
time.

RFID devices like self issue/return Kiosk, staff station, security gate
etc. has been integrated with Koha which works fine.

Please note the entire works has been done by in-house manpower with the
voluntary support of Mr. Monirul Purkait, Scientist, VECC, Kolkata who is
mainly responsible for integration RFID with Koha and developed middle-ware
solution.

Mr. Monirul and Mr. Soumen Mondal (former library trainee) done wonderful
job along with other library professionals motivations. However i took all
the responsibility for the things which was not done properly if any.

With Regards,

Vinod Kumar Mishra,
Assistant Librarian,
Biju Patnaik Central Library (BPCL),
NIT Rourkela,
Sundergadh-769008,
Odisha,
India.
Mob:91+9439420860
Website: http://mishravk.com/
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4666-7874

*"Spiritual relationship is far more precious than physical. Physical
relationship divorced from spiritual is body without soul" -- Mahatma
Gandhi*