[LIS-Forum] 'Revisiting Ranganathan’: International conference on Knowledge Orga nization , Library and Information Management

mailman at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in mailman at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Sun Aug 13 14:33:54 IST 2017

From:    "K.S. Raghavan" <ksragav at hotmail.com>
Date:    Sun, August 13, 2017 11:07 am

It is indeed very good to see that so many organizations, schools of
LIS, libraries of all kinds are observing Librarians’ Day by arranging
lectures / workshops, debates, seminars, etc. While Dr. Ranganathan,
during his life time, did not approve of any celebrations on his birthday,
ordinary mortals that we are, we need something to ring the bill and wake
us up to rededicate ourselves to the cause of the profession. It is no
exaggeration to say that the status the profession is enjoying in India
today is largely because of what Ranganathan and some other stalwarts in
the profession did. Let us pledge today to carry forward the movement
initiated by Ranganathan.

This year happens to be the 125th birth anniversary of Dr. S. R.
Ranganathan. We at the Sarada Ranganathan Endowment for Library Science in
association with the Ranganathan Centre for Information Studies, the
Indian Institute of Technology Madras (Chennai), M/s Informatics (India)
and the Indian Public Library Movement (IPLM of NASSCOM Foundation) have
organized ‘Revisiting Ranganathan’: International conference on Knowledge
Organization, Library and Information Management to be held at IIT Madras
from 23rd to 25th October 2017.

The conference is supported by DELNET, ISKO (India and Singapore
Chapters), Society for Information Science (Bangalore), KALA and other
organizations.

An important feature of the conference is that IKO 2017, an annual event
organized by the  ISKO (Singapore Chapter) will be held as a
pre-conference workshop on 23rd October and those who register for the
conference will also be able to attend IKO 2017. On behalf of the
organizers I invite LIS professionals to register for the conference and
participate in its deliberations. We have some eminent speakers from
Europe, North America, Singapore, Japan, besides speakers from India. For
more information, please visit the conference website
(www.srr125.org<http://www.srr125.org>)

K. S. Raghavan
Member-Secretary, Sarada Ranganathan Endowment for Library Science
Secretary, Ranganathan Centre for Information Studies”