[LIS-Forum] Students Colloquium-3

drtc at isibang.ac.in drtc at isibang.ac.in
Tue Mar 15 12:42:06 IST 2016

INDIAN STATISTICAL INSTITUTE
Documentation Research & Training Centre
8th Mile, Mysore Road, RVCE Post
Bangalore, 560 059

COLLOQUIM - 3
(2015 – 2017)

Intellectual Property Rights – A Debate

ABSTRACT

Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) has been a subject of intense
discussion. On one side, IPR brings value to ensure that innovators are
rewarded for their intellectual creations and on the other sides, it is
argued that it is against free expression and exchange of ideas. IPR
dispute has involved the fun-damental trade-off between this two
arguments. It brings a dilemma as how to balance artistic and
entrepreneurial incentives with the interest of the larger community of
users in a free unhindered exchange of ideas and product. There is a
criticism that aggressive protection schemes of IPR re-gime goes beyond
any possibility of creativity by others. So in recent times, the question
arises as does it promote the progress of science and useful arts or
promotes the unnecessary government monopoly.
In this debate, we are going to discuss the issues of IPR and whether we
still need it in a knowledge and technology age or should we do away with
it. This will shed light on a critical reassessment of IPR.

In this colloquium the speakers are as follows:

Moderator – Kanu Chakraborty

Group 1
Shiva Shankar Mahato
Gurrala Srinivas