[LIS-Forum] Increasing Scholarly Meetings and Decreasing Scholarship: Needs Discussion

Ishwar Goudar goudarishwar at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:41:53 IST 2016

Dear Professionals,

Dr. Vasanth has made an interesting observation  about innumerable number
of Conferences/Seminars being organised especially in the area of LIS.
While his comments about mediocre scholarly outcome of such events is
matter of concern, we also need to consider the positive aspects.  These
events give an opportunity especially for young professionals to think,
write and develop communication skills. Unfortunately many organisers
accept all papers submitted many a times even the ones received on the day
of the event, without even going through the papers once. We are more
interested to bringout volume and get it released during the inaugural
session.  It is a Win Win situation for both paper presenters and
organisers as both can claim good API Score. But most disappointing matter
is that presenters most of the time get 2-5 minutes for presentation. Many
a times authors get the credit  without even making presentation due to
lack of time.  By providing more time say 10-15 minutes, we will  not only
justify  their efforts, but such a step will motivate them to write quality
papers to the extent possible. I have seen mixed types of seniors, few as
Chairs of sessions  discourage the presenters by interrupting and passing
only negative remarks. I appreciate those who encourage especially
youngsters and advise them appropriately to come out with better papers in
future.

Yes, Dr. Vasanth is right in pointing out that we have very less
publications in  quality and well known journals.  Inspite of having
hundreds of LIS Schools in the country, each of the hundreds of  faculty
member having at least 5 research scholars at any point of given time, we
are not in a position to produce quality papers. On the other side  not all
practicing professionals are doing better. But there are some quality
pockets in both categories, who do good teaching and provide quality
service.  Profession has to bank on these pockets both for quality
publications and service.  Our Associations, grown in big number these days
should also look into the matter of giving thrust for the image of the
profession by advocating quality teaching, research and practice, apart
from helping their members to get their due status and respect from
Government and their employers.

Many colleges pay a meagre salary of 5000-10000 for Library professionals
with MLIS and treat them like clerks. The post of University Librarian is a
Staturay post, but still 90% of posts are vacant in the country for many
years. We, Professionals and Teachers of LIS pull each others legs and also
within our respective categories. We try to work in isolation, which is not
a good sign. We forget that unless there is a demand for practiceners,
demand for teachers will never go up and vice versa. Few examples:  Few
teachers create problems for research students just because he or she is
student of another teacher, just because of difference of opinion,without
bothering about the merit of the Theses. Just because one wants to head the
library, professionals oppose extension of superannuation age to 62 years
(without even caring for his own case), which is in mess especially in
Karnataka. This year a number of seats have not been taken by students in
few library schools. May be one day this situation if left like this, our
schools will vanish, which is detrimental to both teachers and
practiceners.  Time and again I keep suggesting the consorted effort,
supporting each others cause for the better status of our LIS community,
which probably may result in quality publications too.

Regards,

"Access E-Resources for Academic and Research Excellence"

*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*
Dr. I.R.N. Goudar
- Adjunct Professor, Mangalore University
- Visiting Professor Cum Library Adviser
  Bangalore University Library, BANGALORE - 560056
- Ex. Visiting Professor Cum Library Adviser, UoM, Mysore
- Ex. Scientist 'G' and Head, ICAST, NAL, Bangalore
- Ex. Dy Librarian, IITM, Chennai
- Ex. Scientist (Information), IICT, Hyderabad
- Fulbright Scholar, Univ. of Michigan and Columbia Univ, USA (1995-96)
- British Council Scholar (1982-83)
  E-mail: goudarishwar at gmail.com
  Tel: 080-23215510
  Mob: 91+9611165781 (If not reachable pl try land line)