[LIS-Forum] Affected Library or Affected Society?

subhayu dan subhayu.dan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:23:28 IST 2016

Calgary cops have thrown the book at alleged members of a drug trafficking
ring, accused of plying their trade outside the main downtown library
branch and other public spots in the core.

Police have charged 29 people with 128 charges after two separate police
operations in the downtown core targeting sales of crystal meth, morphine,
and in one of 30 seizures, fentanyl.

operation in December, focusing on the 17 Ave. S.W. corridor where dealers
were spotted in the shadow of family restaurants along the popular strip.

The first phase led to seven arrests, on charges ranging from drugs, to
stolen property, to outstanding warrants.

Last month, the operation moved to the 7 Ave. corridor, targeting dealers
at the Central Library, Olympic Plaza and area restaurants.

District 1 Insp. Cliff O’Brien said while the sweep targeted low-level,
hand-to-hand dealers, the aim is to make the downtown a more comfortable
destination for business people and families.

“This is taking place sometimes in broad daylight, in front of families,
and in front of people going to work, or going to read a book at the
library,” he said.

“We also saw a spike in the violence that was taking place in some of these
high drug trafficking areas.”

Calgary Public Library CEO Bill Ptacek lauded police on the operation he
said ensures libraries remain safe gathering places for families.

“Calgary’s Central Library is an integral part of Calgary’s downtown,” he
said.  “Like all of our 18 community libraries, it is designed to offer a
safe community place that provides library services for all Calgarians
within a respectful environment where lawful, civil behaviour is expected.”

The second phase of the drug blitz collared 22 people, who are now facing
81 drug and criminal code charges.

More than half of those arrested had been previously known to police, and
O’Brien said 13 of those arrested have already been released.

So far, investigators have been unable to link the downtown drug dealers to
ongoing city-wide violence linked to organized crime.

While admitting the arrests may not halt the activity, O’Brien said he
hopes it will prompt downtown dwellers to let police know when they see
drug deals going down.

“I know that other people will eventually come and take their place — we
get that,” he said.

“What we’re hoping to do is have the public call us when they see
suspicious activity.

“Hopefully it sends a message to drug traffickers that what they’re doing
and the violence and the crime that comes with that is unacceptable.”

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/calgary-police-drug-blitz-targets-downtown-library-dealers

Shubhau Dan
Library In Charge
Future Institute of Engineering and Management
Kolkata - 700150