[LIS-Forum] Confusion on NDL (National digital library) and Sodhganga ?

Senthil V senthildrdo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 18:12:08 IST 2016

Dear Mr Vinod,

I think you have got confused on two different projects, i would like to
clear some of your doubts,

1. Sodhganga is a repository of Theses and dissertation submitted by Ph.D
students but in case of NDL is a Digital Library project consisting of IR,
Thesis, Video lectures, presentation of eminent professionals etc.
2. NDL is not a Union Catalogue, its more than a Harvester which includes
various data sets.
3. NDL project initiated by Govt. of India which has high intense of vision
and goal, so no need to panic about money involved in this project. As of
my knowledge govt. of India will not waste the public money.
4. NDL team not only harvesting various institutes metadata, they also
training LIS and computer professionals to setup their own repositories.
5. Sodhganga and NDL will not be merged even in near future since both are
having different vision and mission.
6. In case of any further clarification you can directly contact NDL team
either by Prof PP Das or Dr Sutradhar at IIT, Kharagpur or Dr Arora of
INFLIBNET.
7. For your kind information, Dr Arora, Director, INFLIBNET is also
actively participating in promoting NDL.

Regards,

V Senthil
DESIDOC

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:22 PM, vinod mishra <mishravk79 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am very much confused about the National digital library project
> (NDL) at IIT Kharagpur and Sodhganga of Inflibnet. Main reason is i
> came to know NDL is going to collect the Metadata from DSpace/Eprint
> repositories of various IITs, NITs etc. and provide a common platform
> to search all repositories.
>
> My confusions are:
>
> 1. How metadata searching can be considered as Digital library without
> full text?
> 2. Is it a Kind of Union catalogue of Digital repositories?
> 3. Sodhganga is nicely managed by Inflibnet under the directorship of
> Dr. Arora than why this type of things was not integrated with the
> same which is of national importance?
> 4. What will be the other contents since its a huge project involving
> crores of rupees?
> 5. Recently INDEST and Inflibnet consortium has been merged so is
> there any chance of merging Sodhganga and NDL in future if yes than
> why not today?
> 6. One Koha project under NMEICT was started having cost around 1.8
> crore but final out put i do not know just seen Union catalogue of
> some libraries and Inflibnet is also doing same work now by collecting
> records from various libraries?
>
> Kindly clarify me if anybody is having clear ideas and differences
> among them. I shall be highly thankful for the same.
>
> --
> With Regards,
> Vinod Kumar Mishra,
> Assistant Librarian,