[LIS-Forum] Dr. Ranganathan's birthday

Fri Aug 12 14:32:13 IST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 04:43:29 +0000
From: K.S. Raghavan <ksragav at hotmail.com>

In the last few days I have seen quite a few postings on LIS Forum and
other channels on the subject of Dr. Ranganathan's birthday. Dr.
Ranganathan's actual date of birth is 9th August; In the official records
his date of birth is shown as 12th August. At the Sarada Ranganathan
Endowment for Library Science the practice was to observe the birthday on
any day between 9th and 12th August. However, 12th August has been
officially declared as Librarians' day.

Prof. Neelameghan had once told me that Dr. Ranganathan did not approve of
any function / celebrations even on his birthday. But mortals that we are,
we need something to ring the bell and wake us up from slumber and I
believe that the celebrations are purely for that purpose. Let us remember
that library / information service is a support service so that some one
who is our customer is able to carry out his task in a more effective and
efficient manner. Let us not forget what Dr. Ranganathan preached and
practiced. It certainly should not be that we celebrate his birthday and
forget his ideals the next day ! Let us put an end to this debate and
focus on what needs to be done.

Wishing all LIS Professionals a happy Librarians' Day.

Regards

K. S. Raghavan
Member-Secretary, Sarada Ranganathan Endowment for Library Science
K. S. Raghavan

Visiting Scientist
Centre for Knowledge Analytics & Ontological Engineering (KAnOE)
PES University
100 Feet Ring Road, BSK 3rd Stage
Bengaluru 560085