[LIS-Forum] Do you know actual librarians day?

vinod mishra mishravk79 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 21:49:49 IST 2016

Dear All,

Sometimes it is very irritating/confusing situation when we do not know the
exact date of birth of any great person. We librarians used to celebrate
Librarians day on 9th or 12th of August each year in honor of Dr.
Ranganathan birth date but it is a very embarrassing situation in my view.
We library professional must decide together one particular day for
librarians day celebration because it divides library professionals into
two groups in one of the most important days for the library profession.
Some say’s Ranganathan official DOB is 9th and some say on 12th August and
vice versa.

Imagine a situation if top leaders/intellectuals from another domain of
knowledge ask this question to some top library professionals in a meeting
conducted to upgrade the librarian states or to give huge funds to
celebrate librarians day and if two dates will be disclosed by LIS
professionals then it will be really a situation when people sitting in the
meeting have to say all Librarians to first decide a particular day for
your librarian day then come to upgrade your status etc?

Dear friends these are the small things which can be easily improved and
bring library professionals on one single platform but ignorance of such
small but most important thing is the major cause of declining library
profession and professionals status in my view. Therefore i appeal all the
professionals to come together and decide when is your actual librarians
day (9th or 12th August) and celebrate it together in mass.

Thanking You.
Please visit for some references at:
http://mishravk.com/2016/08/librarian-day/

--

*With Regards,Vinod Kumar Mishra,Assistant Librarian,Biju Patnaik Central
Library (BPCL),*

*NIT Rourkela,*

*Sundergadh-769008,*

*Odisha,*