[LIS-Forum] LIS Student’s interaction with Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam at his residence on 15.3.2011.

Dr. Chennupati K. Ramaiah ckramaiah at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 12:53:31 IST 2015

Dear LIS Forum Moderator,

Could you please post to LIS forum the brief interaction of MLIS students
of Pondicherry University with Dr Kalama both text and video clips URLs
uploaded on both university website and YouTube.

*If it is too long, it can be sent in two parts. First part is Oath alone
and second part is questions and answers. *

Thanks for communicating to others through this forum,

Prof. CK Ramaiah

*LIS Student’s interaction with Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam at his residence on
15.3.2011.*

The students of MLIS, Department of Library and Information Science (DLIS)
of Pondicherry University, both I and II years accompanied by Prof. CK
Ramaiah and Dr Singson had a golden opportunity of meeting and interacting
with Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam at his residence in New Delhi on 15.3.2011. It was
one of the most aspiring moments for these students to meet Dr. Kalam at
his residence. This interaction is recorded and posted on YouTube and
Pondicherry
University websites at the following URLs:

1.    Pondicherry University MLIS Students Interaction with Dr APJ Abdul
Kalam New Delhi on 15 03 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kCVQz5pgw

2.    Also seen through YouTube at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kCVQz5pgw

After hearing from all of them, he suggested the necessity for setting up a
HOME LIBRARY in every one’s house and advised to read one hour every day
along with the family members. Though the oath is prepared for our group
but it is applicable to each family not only in India but also the entire
world. So, all the students promised him that they will set up the *home
library* at their homes and develop life-long reading habit among their
family members.

Dr. Kalam’s oath to Indian youth is as follows:

*1.     **Today onwards, I will start a home library with 20 books and out
of which ten books will be children books. *

*2.     **My daughter and son will enlarge this home library with 200
books.*

*3.     **My grand children will lead a great home library to 2000 books.*

*4.     **I consider our library is lifelong treasure and precious property
of our family.*

*5.     **We will spend at-least one hour at home library to study along
with our family members.  *

*He adorned the role of a teacher and invited the students to ask questions
about matters of their concern. The questions asked by the students and
answers given by the President are given below: *

*Q: Sir, how to get black money and use it for the development of the
Country. On this regard, what is your advice?*

*Answer:* Don’t worry about the money. All of you should try to excel in
education and get a good job. If money comes it is good but knowledge is
more useful. So, concentrate in your studies and excel in education. Don’t
get away with funny problems.

*Q: Sir, I want to become a Lecturer. I have a dream to get respected by
all the students of different mindsets. So how can that be achieved?*

*Answer:* I personally believe that you must have a role model. The role
model either in teaching or teachers you would have come across in high
school level, private school level and in college level, so you have to
concentrate in a unique person,  to realize how worth  a teacher  is to
you. You’re going to have two types of knowledge: one is to appreciate
his/her knowledge, the teacher radiates his knowledge. The other is s/he
radiates the purity of life. So you look for such a role model if otherwise
nobody is available books will help you. Good books will talk about great
teachers.

*Q: Sir, if God comes in front of you and asks you, my child I want to take
you from earth to heaven, then what is your answer? Would you request the
God to give some more time to complete the goals set by you as this country
to transform as developed country?*

*Answer:* My feeling is such a thing will not happen. If it happens, then
God knows what I need, after all he is God. He is supposed to know what his
children dream. So if the dream is good, he will say you continue with the
dream and complete it.  Sometimes he says the dream is already met with you
so you come with me. So you have to go.

*Q: There are many welfare schemes in India, due to aggressive political
personal gains there is not much development in the country. Sir, what is
your advice to improve the present situation in the country without
political intervention?*

*Answer:* We are spending about hundreds of crores for the welfare
throughout the country but this amount is directed in different forms.
Government has accepted what is called “PURA”- Providing Urban Amenities in
the Rural India. It means you cluster 20-30 villages with a huge population
of 20,000 people and give them physical connectivity, electronic
connectivity, knowledge connectivity, so that economic connectivity will
come. Hence money will be pumped in the PURA. Government has also started
nine states in the PURA system.  Throughout the country we need over 7000
PURAs for the overall development.

*Q: Sir, you have always been an inspiring role model particularly to
youngsters on the part of education. So, what are the steps that we should
follow to become better citizens of this country?*

*Answer:* Since you are studying you should excel in education. Don’t get
into politics and don’t compromise anything for education because if you
get 90 % mark, you get one type of profession. If you get 60 % mark you get
another type of job, if you fail then another type of job. So if you excel
in education you will excel in your profession too. If you get time, on
Saturday and Sunday go 10 km away from Puducherry and catch hold of five
people who cannot read or write and teach them and it is simple, you don’t
need money. Then in your home or college campus, plant five trees and for
that also you don’t need money. Then you could go to a good hospital.  Most
people are taken care by their friends and relatives. There are some five
to ten beds which nobody takes care of. Go and meet those people with some
fruits and flowers. They will be very happy and moreover you also will feel
very happy. The evening will be very special. All these three things you
can do on Saturdays and Sundays.

*Q: Sir, what is the permanent solution to overcome terrorism and poverty
in the country. As students what is our role to overcome this? What is your
suggestion for global warming?*

*Answer:* If poverty started decreasing, there is little scope for
terrorism. A major problem to global warming is due to millions of car
drives. It generates 30 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide throughout the
world. If we purchase 80 billion dollars of oil from various countries, we
are also purchasing that much carbon dioxide, so we have to go out of that.
We get solar power, wind power, nuclear power and hydro power. We have to
get rid of fossil fuels. These are the problems that generate carbon
dioxide. Second, every tree absorbs about 20 kilogram of carbon dioxide and
lets out about 20 kilogram of oxygen. It’s a beautiful environmental help.
All of you should start a mission of million trees for million people. Each
one should plant at least one.

*Q: Sir, India is not paying much attention to global warming?*

*Answer:* India now started a National Solar Power Program. It is supposed
to generate 30,000 mega watt power similar to nuclear power by 2013.

*Q: Sir, you have prepared a Mission Plan 2020 for this country. The
country progressed considerably. What is your advice to the University
students in terms of contribution to achieve this mission?*

*Answer:* India 2020 is not my mission but it is India’s mission. So to
achieve this, while studying you should excel in education means you are
helping India 2020. If you excel in your education, you can become a good
Librarian, good Doctors and good Politicians. Likewise, if you got time,
the three things I told you are also helping India. Planting trees you are
helping the environment. Try to educate those in need of. Each student
suppose you take five people, teach them to read and write. Within ten
years, literacy rate will be hundred percent. The third thing is going to a
hospital and giving them happiness.

*Q: Religion is the path to reach God. I am practicing Christianity.
Through books I understand that you respect all religious equally from your
childhood days onwards. Because of narrow thinking, there are lot of
conflicts between religions which ultimately leads to terrorism. Sir, my
question to you is - to achieve equal respect towards each religion, what
should the government do to the youth in this country? In what way
religious organizations or missionaries should help the Indian youth to
achieve this?*

*Answer:* First and foremost, every schools and college should introduce
Moral Science course. One hour every day, respectable teacher should
present a good life of a human being who connect religions and who work for
others like Saint Augustine, Kalifa Mohammed, Lord Buddha, etc. Such type
of people should be presented so as to realize that good human beings
connect people. Only small people disconnect people. Great ones connect
people.

*Q: Every day you meet so many students, attending several functions and
activities directly related to the progress of youth and country at large.
How are you able to manage your time?*

*Answer:* Recently, I had a program at Wayanad in Kerala at 6.30 pm in the
evening. I have to go to Calicut and somehow missed my Calicut flight at
Delhi. So, I went up to Bangalore by air and drove by car to Calicut. When
I reached there at 1 ‘0’ clock in the morning, nearly 5,000 people were
waiting for me including children, parents and teachers. I was astonished
to see them. So, time is always available, only thing is you have to make
up your mind what you have done with the time?

*Q: Sir, what’s your feeling when you visited Bunglon village in Manipur?
What’s your feeling about those people?*

*Answer:* When I went to Manipur I visited the village. The teacher there,
the great teacher built the whole school. He has the one man show. It’s a
high school and he is the leader. The whole area loves him. People of this
village love him because of his attitude and the students have come to a
high position. I am happy to see that.

*Dr. Chennupati K. Ramaiah*
MSc (Meerut), MLISc (Delhi), PhD (Loughborough),
FSIS, MACM, MASIST, MCILIP
Dean, School of Media and Communication &
Professor, Dept. of Library and Information Science,
*Pondicherry University*, R.V. Nagar, Kalapet,
PUDUCHERRY – 605 014. INDIA.
Email: ckramaiah.lis at pondiuni.edu.in ; ckramaiah at gmail.com
Website:http://www.pondiuni.edu.in/profile/dr-ck-ramaiah
Tel(O): 0413-2654047; 2654592, Fax: 0413-2656766; Mobile: 9487605773.