[LIS-Forum] Dr. K. P. Vijayakumar - Retirement on superannuation

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:51:27 IST 2015

Dear Dr Nair:

I have known Prof. Vijayakumar for a decade or more. Above all, he is a
dedicated teacher. He reminds me of the Accenture ad: 'High Performance.
Delivered.' No ego. No pretences. Just plain and simple. Delivery with no
failures.

I heard him deliver two talks recently, once at the Malayalam University in
Tirur and again at the India Public Library Conference at New Delhi. He had
come prepared and delivered the talks very well.

A few years ago I took three Canadian academics on a trip to Kerala with
the aim of open access evangelism. One of them, a senior citizen, felt the
need to meet a doctor. I turned to Vijayakumar and he organized an
appointment with a doctor without any waiting time and took our friend in
his own car. The professor could join the rest of us on a long road trip
the same day!

Every time I was in Trivandrum, Vijayakumar will ask me to meet his
students and I enjoyed the opportunity. On my last trip, he asked me to
address the participants of the Academic Staff College refresher programme
as well.

I respect him both as a person and as a teacher. He is a role model for
young LIS professionals.

The university rules may consider him superannuated. I know he has a very
long innings of productive work. I wish him, his family and his students
all the very best.

Arun