[LIS-Forum] Changing face of Library Profession…!!!

Dinesh Siddaiah dinesh.ncet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:51:16 IST 2015

Dear All,

Changing face of Library Profession…!!!

These days mostly everywhere we see the discussions on status and
eternality, the deathlessness of LIS profession and sustainability among
LIS professionals. Are we really paranoid about the future of libraries and
library schools? Are we creating panic among emerging library
professionals? However, I complete disagree on the views expressing by some
our colleagues. Library is a Library.  One cannot replace it. Libraries
across the world (academic, public or special), are still making a huge
difference and shall remain so forever. The demand for library and its
extended services is growing continuously. Only formats and access methods
have changed significantly but not the usage. Librarians must make the
libraries, attractive places for the users to come in and spend time for
contemplation and deep learning. Every student, researcher, and faculty
must also love to use the libraries more than earlier.

For instance, in our institute (IIT Ropar) we keep doing certain studies
such as online surveys, group discussion, interview, observation etc. The
result of the studies showing the increasing demand for more library
facilities and services. We keep our library open 24x7 on all 365 days,
which perhaps was not very common prior to the cyber age.  Our students
love to read in the library for longer hours and keep expecting more and
more assistance.

Here I am trying to express my views on today’s library profession.

For instance, today there are plenty of job opportunities both at the
national and state levels.  If I am right, there are 10-12 Librarian/Deputy
Librarian positions in different institutions of national importance. In
Universities, this number is more. There are many vacancies at the entry
level in both government and public sector. Then the question is why they
have not been filled? The reasons are many. One main reason is changing
attitude of Directors/Vice-Chancellors/Head of the institutions towards the
integrity, leadership qualities and knowledge of our own people.

Therefore, let our Universities inject ethics at PG and research level. Let
the teachers come out of all the differences. Let them sit together, solve
differences and curtail egos and let them produce quality students to take
up the future challenges.

Let us not politicize our own profession. Let the departments at the
universities and at work places, treat all the students/colleagues in a
fair and respectful manner.

Let us maintain some distance from the commercial publishers and agents. In
my view, they are the main threat for tarnishing the reputation of the
professionals.​ Let us maintain healthy/professional relationships with the
publishers and agents.

Let us invite and honor deserved people for our programmes. We need to make
a big difference by conducting programmes with the intention of giving
importance to the knowledge of speakers, content quality, confining to the
content delivery rather than luxurious opening and closing ceremonies. Let
us not try to please/satisfy people for personal benefits. Let us focus on
end purpose of the programme. Let us take feedback, review the programmes
positively and ensure the impact that has made.

Let us ensure return on investment at all Library purchases/projects. Let
us critically evaluate the products/items for the usefulness before buying.
Let us not misuse the General Financial Rules which has given autonomy for
library purchases. Let us adopt transparent purchase procedures and try to
get competitive prices.

Let us not use our own colleagues/subordinates for our personal
works. (Students in case of teachers, who also have fallen prey to
expecting gifts for awarding PhDs and getting them out sourced). All of
these amounts to character building and respect will automatically be
earned.

Let others should speak about the progress of our work & profession instead
of bowing our trumpet.

Let us love the profession first; be sincere and committed to our work. Let
us have more focus on development of Library instead of not taking other
administrative responsibilities at the entry level.

Let others asses our work and identifying our capabilities and offer
suitable positions.

Let us shoe gratification in giving ones due and acknowledging which is a
way of respecting other.

Let us grow and let others to grow.

*The BIG Secret is* ….

There is no free lunch in life, we must update our knowledge and be proud
and good librarian. YES, true the way to success is hard work and there is
no short cut for that!!!

Thanks and Regards,

Dinesh

Dr. Dinesh K. S.

Commonwealth Professional Fellow 2014-15 - UK

Deputy Librarian,
Indian Institute of Technology Ropar,
Nangal Road, Rupnagar,
Punjab - 140 001.