[LIS-Forum] Late Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and Library and Information Services

Ishwar Goudar goudarishwar at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 28 01:20:50 IST 2015

Dear Professionals,

Sad demise of  our dear Ex-President of India Bharatratna  Dr. Abdul Kalam
has shocked the entire  world in general and our country in particular.
While typing this message, I am listening to a number of people from
different walks of life showing their respects to this great son of India
through their condolence messgaes in TV.

I would like to quote few interesting instances about Dr. Kalam, seen and
experienced when I was working as Head of the Information Centre at NAL,
Bangalore. Dr. Kalam was Chairman of Research Council of NAL, when he was
Head of DRDO. I would like to quote his sense of humour I witnessed during
one of the meeting. NAL had collaborartion with TAAL (Taneja Aerospace and
Aviation  Ltd).  At that time 'Taal' Hindi picture runnung successfully.
When discussion came about TAAL, Dr Kalam started singing the song 'Taal
se  taal mila .....' .

The UGC-Infonet Digital Library Consortium was formally launched in
December, 2003 by  Dr. A P J *Abdul Kalam*, then President of India. In his
book 'Ignited Minds', Dr. Kalam recognises knowledge as prime mover of
prosparity and power.
He supported Digital Library of India (Million Book Project) in a big way.

I had an opportunity of making a presentation about NAL Information Centre
in the presence of Dr. Kalam.  While appreciating our Centre's innovative
information services he had advised us set up National Aerospace Library &
Information Network. We could never full fill his desire as most of the
Aeropsace LICs in India are part of either ISRO or DRDO, wherein
confidentiality is of prime concern.  I had few opportunities of serving
his aerospace information requirements, for which he himself had spoken to
me personally.  Inspite of being a big man he had the courtecy of writing
appreciation letter that too in his own handwriting. I consider  myself
lucky for having got opportunities for delivering lectures twicein his
presence at Metcalfe House, that too once due to his suggestion. He took
lot of interest to improve LIS at DRDO. Once I happened to stay in DRDO
Guest House, where Dr. Kalam stayed after he was designated as President of
India, but not yet assumed President's Office. I tried, but failed to meet
him as he had left for TN on the same morning. Then onwards I had glimpse
of his looks only in some functions or through media.

SOME PUBLICATIONS OF DR. KALAM:

'Wings of Fire', 'India 2020', '2020-Vision for the New Millanium',
'Ignited Minds', 'Turning Points', 'Target 3 Billion', 'Indomitable
Spirit', 'Guiding Souls: Dialogues on the Purpose of Life',' My Journey:
Transforming Dreams Into Actions', 'THE SCIENTIFIC INDIAN: A Twenty-First
Century Guide to the World Around Us', 'The Family and The Nation', 'Spirit
Of India', 'Thoughts for Change: We Can Do it', 'Children Ask Kalam',
'Evolution of Enlightened Societies',
He has few books in Hindi to his credit.

FEW LIS RELATED QUOTES OF APJ:

"Digital library is where the past meets the present and creates the
future".

"Library professionals should begin tailorservices to every user"  *“
*Information
that is static is of no value

* ”.*
"Libraries should be integrated with mobile platforms to empower people in
the country particularly youths with books and journals"

'Home libraries facilitate harnessing knowledge and harmony among family
members'.

We librarians should add books of Dr. Kalam to our libraries and also
spread his ideals and messages for the benefit of our user community and
future generation.  We can think of setting up of a Digital Library
covering works by him and on him, News Clippings, Audio, Videos, etc.

Let us try to inculcate his ideals in our service for the benefit of both
the society and profession.

Regards,

"Access E-Resources for Academic and Research Excellence"

*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*
Dr. I.R.N. Goudar
- Adjunct Professor, Mangalore University
- Visiting Professor Cum Library Adviser
  Bangalore University Library, BANGALORE - 560056
- Ex. Visiting Professor Cum Library Adviser, UoM, Mysore
- Ex. Scientist 'G' and Head, ICAST, NAL, Bangalore
- Ex. Dy Librarian, IITM, Chennai
- Ex. Scientist (Information), IICT, Hyderabad
- Fulbright Scholar, Univ. of Michigan and Columbia Univ, USA (1995-96)
- British Council Scholar (1982-83)
  E-mail: goudarishwar at gmail.com
  Tel: 080-23215510
  Mob: 91+9611165781 (If not reachable pl try land line)