[LIS-Forum] Late V.L.Kalyan - Great organiser.

D.V. Patwardhan patwardhanvasu at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 12:37:18 IST 2015

Sorry to read that Sri V.L.Kalyan is more. He was Hon.Secretary of KALA during 1992-93 during which period I has close association with him as I was Joint Secretary. His tenure was a "golden period of KALA" as remarked by my friend Dr.K.N.Prasad, SRELS, for which I too agree with him.

We were able to hold monthly lectures which served as platform for exchange of ideas/ discussions for Library professionals. There was no LIS-Forum to communicate among librarians. Hence, we fixed lectures for three consecutive months and mailED one invitation to all KALA members through snail mail.This went on for 4/5 years. Even then Librarians too were responding and attending lectures on first Tuesday of every month. Now, concept of monthly lecture is totally forgotten.

National Library Week (in association with dept. of Public Libraries, Karnataka) and special lectures were held with pomp and grandeur.
A stamp in the name of Dr.S.R.Ranganathan was released during a function held at G.P.O.in 1992 with former Vice-President Sri B.D.Jatti as Chief Geust.

 Sri V.L.Kalyanwalked to Newspapers officer offices of Deccan Herald, The Hindu,etc. to get the lecture announcement get published in "Today's egagement" section of newspapers on first Tuesdays of every month. I rarely found such a dedicated Hon.Secretary of KALA afterwards.
Sri V.L.Kalyan was a librarian of par excellence and good organiser. My his soul rest in peace.
d.v.patwardhansr.librarianGlobal Academy of Technology