[LIS-Forum] Reg: Anti plagiarism detection tools

T. Shahab .TANWIR tshahab at jamiahamdard.ac.in
Fri Aug 21 16:20:12 IST 2015

Dear All,
Thanks for carrying on the thread of discussions about our experience about
the available anti-plagiarism web tools courtesy Inflibnet.  iThenticate
has a very steep pricing policy. On an average anti-plagiarism check
carried on each page is costing around $4 (i.e.  ₹250-300). The cost will
multiply each time we repeat the check on a particular document if the
plagiarism score is beyond the acceptable threshold. Further, iThenticate
has a policy to calculate 50 pages as one complete document. However, if a
thesis has smaller chapters, say 06 (each of less than 30 pages), yet the
software will calculate it as six document. Therefore, if we purchase
iThenticate our allowed document limit is sure to be exhausted too soon. As
the service was till now free through Inflibnet we never thought regarding
this aspect.
On the other hand, Turnitin is a bit slower than iThenticate with a layer
of initial planning which makes it less popular with the users. But the
Turnitin allows us to upload any number of documents (with a size limit of
400 pages) under one ID.
The very useful feature with these two tools marketed in India by Balani
Infotech is the availability of 'Setting'. We are free to configure the
environment to our preference. We can direct the software not to count the
quoted materials, to exclude materials & methods chapter, etc.

                                We are still in the dark about the
parameters that the Inflibnet has used in its global tender for selecting a
worthy/less worthy alternative to the the earlier anti-plagiarism web
tools. Urkund has no feature of 'setting' and it is even counting all the
properly quoted texts. Whereas one can directly upload file/s in
Turnitin/iThenticate, we have to attach a file through email and send it to
a given address for generating the analysis report which is made available
after a lapse of few hours through the inbox of the administrator. Another
drawback that Urkund share with Turnitin is that both these software
welcome single file format for the whole work, In case of Urkund if you
attach multiple files, this software will generate report for only the
first uploaded. Therefore, we are forced to create two files- one for the
summary and conclusion and another for the rest of the thesis- and send it
separately via email as attachments to meet our University anti-plagiarism
policy.
More problems may tumble down after a fair degree of use at different
institutions.
With kind regards,
Dr. T. Shahab
HMS Central library, Jamia Hamdard University
New Delhi