[LIS-Forum] Ranganathan’s Five-Laws re-invented by OCLC for the world of e-Libraries and e- Learning!

Sathya sathya19 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:48:05 IST 2015

*Happy Librarian's Day!*

The intellectual spirit of S R Ranganathan is alive and rocking in the new
world order of information, education and learning.  Thanks to OCLC, which
came out with an independent report last year (2014) titled – “Reordering
Ranganathan: Shifting user behavior, shifting priorities”.  This report is
a well-researched effort to bring in a new perspective to Ranganathan’s
Five Laws in a digital landscape. The report expands the scope of the five
laws to the e-Content domain of all types in all media including e-learning
systems.  The expanded scope covers users beyond the purview of traditional
LIS.   One can see this in the illustrated examples in the report like
“Every Google map its traveller”.  How universal and relevant are
Ranganathan’s Laws is convincingly brought out in this report by the two
OCLC researchers  (Lynn Silipigni Connaway, Ph.D. and Ixchel M. Faniel,
Ph.D.

This 130 page report is also excellently summarized by Dr. K. S. Raghavan
in a 30 page article published in the recent issue of the SRELS Journal of
Information Management [Vol 52(1), Feb. 2015, p. 3–23].  This  was the
journal founded by Dr. Ranganathan fifty one years ago: (
http://i-scholar.in/index.php/sjim/article/view/60392/51360)
The original report can be accessed form OCLC site:  (
http://www.oclc.org/content/dam/research/publications/library/2014/oclcresearch-reordering-ranganathan-2014.pdf
)

The complete digital archive of SRELS Journal on Information Management
form Volume 1 is now available, published by Informatics Publishing Ltd.,
(a subsidiary of Informatics India Ltd., Bangalore) on its i-Scholar
platform .  (www.srels.org)

As the LIS profession readies to celebrate Librarian’s Day on 12th August
in honor of Dr. S R Ranganathan, I extend my hearty greetings to the
members of the LIS community and wish the profession many new vistas to
explore and strengthen its value contribution to the Society at large.

Do we need to re-invent or re-order Five Laws for our Digital Times?  This
will be an interesting question to debate over this report. Librarian's Day
is the right occasion for this debate.

*|**N. V. Sathyanarayana**|*Chairman & Managing Director*|*Informatics
India Ltd.*|*Bangalore 560004*|*INDIA*|*

*|*Ph.+91-80-40387777*|**www.informaticsglobal.com
<http://www.informaticsglobal.com/>**|*