[LIS-Forum] E-Resources Management - Service Tax - TDS - Tendering

mailman at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in mailman at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Apr 21 14:43:08 IST 2015

From:    "Pandurang Konnur" <pvkonnur at gmail.com>
Date:    Mon, April 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Dear Professional Friends,

This issue of TDS was already discussed at length, Dr.Gouder had posted his
posting on the earlier discussion also. Unfortunately, till date there is
no initiative either from any individual Librarians or from the
Associations.

I once again congratulate Dr. I.R.N. Goudar, Visiting Professor Cum Library
Adviser, Bangalore University, Bangalore for throwing light on the tax
issues in purchase of e-Resources. I desire there should be some more
debates and discussions on this issue.

As rightly pointed out by Dr.Goudar, this issue should be taken to MHRD and
Finance Ministry through our Library Associations. Being an important
office bearer of KALA, he should take lead under the able guidance of
Mr.Satyanarayana  MD Informatics as an experienced e-Resource vendor and  who
is also the office bearer of KALA.

All that what is needed is:

1. Yes we should be careful while making payments for E-Resource vendors
especially to the foreign Publishers.

2. At the same time the Associations, as rightly stated by Dr.Goudar should
work with MHRD and Finance Ministry for getting the exemption of TDS. This
will help libraries to procure more and more e-Resources and convert their
Libraries in to Virtual Libraries.

3. As already extended exemption of customs duty and other taxes on
importing of Books and Journals in print medium and  Import of CD-ROMs
containing educational material,  e-Resources should also be exempted from
TDS.

This Belling the Cat <http://www.english-for-students.com/Bell-The-Cat.html>
 initiative shall be taken up by KALA and/or the proposed Federation of all
the LIS Associations in Katnataka (India?).

I sincerely hope some one will start working on this issue after this
discussion.

Thanks,
Best Regards to one and all,

*Dr. P. V. Konnur*
*Former Professor & Director,*
School of Applied Sciences,
*Rani Channamma University, Belgaum.*
Present Res: # 1075, "*Ganga Nivas*"
5th 'A' Main, Ist stage, IInd Phase,
Gokul, Bangalore- 560 054
Karnataka State, (India)
Mobile : 09449679737
E-Mail : pvkonnur at gmail.com

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 18:36:49 +0530
> From: Ishwar Goudar <goudarishwar at googlemail.com>
> To: lis-forum <lis-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in>,   Francis Jayakanth
>         <fjayakanth at gmail.com>
> Subject: [LIS-Forum] E-Resources Management - Service Tax - TDS -
>         Tendering
>
> Dear Professionals,
>
> Managing  E-Resources including acquisition, organisation, access and
> compliance to Indian Taxation Rules and IPR  is a tricky issue. Earlier we
> had few Lis-forum postings on this matter. These issues have been dealt by
> very few Seminars/Conferences including one day Symposium on "E-Content:
> Copyright, Licensing, Taxation and Regulatory Norms"  organised by NIMHANS
> 2013.      I wish to share my views in this matter as experienced through
> discussions/ correspondence I had with different publishers and
> otherprofessional friends.

[truncated|