[LIS-Forum] Student Seminar

drtc at isibang.ac.in drtc at isibang.ac.in
Mon Oct 27 16:23:51 IST 2014

INDIAN STATISTICAL INSTITUTE
Documentation Research & Training Centre
8th Mile, Mysore Road, RVCE Post
Bangalore-560 059

DRTC Seminar- 5, 2014

                           Data Literacy

ABSTRACT

In our increasingly data-driven society, data literacy is an important
civic skill which we should be developing in our society. Data is slowly
but steadily forcing their way into the societies. Data literacy may seem
less technical than either Computer Science or any other fields. Still we
need to envisage a wide variety of tools for accessing, converting and
manipulating data. These require to understand relational databases (like
MS Access), data manipulation techniques, statistical software tools (like
Minitab, SPSS, STATA  and MS Excel) and data representation software tools
(like MS PowerPoint and MS Excel). This seminar includes an introduction
to data literacy, its inter-relationship with information literacy and
statistical literacy. It also includes various steps for working with data
followed by short demonstration of data analysis techniques by using the
software STATA11.

Speaker: Jayanta Kr. Nayek