[LIS-Forum] API Scores for Librarians: reg

Anand Dodamani anand.karuni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 15:25:26 IST 2014

Dear friends,

This is with regard to an ongoing discussion on API Scores for Librarians
for promotion under CAS and Direct Recruitment. The proposed API scores
developed by UGC can be adopted by respective Universities/ Institutes for
the purpose. The scores developed for librarians under Category I & II are
OK for CAS. But, Category III needs to be modified considering the nature
of work the librarians are involved in.

As per the UGC guidelines, in order to apply for the post of Dy. Librarian
(Direct Recruitment), an applicant should score at least 300 points under
Category III which is inappropriate.  Because, after the appointment an
incumbent will be placed on 15600-39100 with AGP 8000 and not on
37400-67000 with AGP 9000 as in the case of Associate Professor.

Expecting an applicant to the post of Dy. Librarian (Direct) to score  300
API points in just 05 years is impractical. This unsound rule, I feel, will
have a negative impact on the profession.

With best,

*Anand Dodamani*

*Mumbai*