[LIS-Forum] DSpace Version Update with data Migration : Solution

Dr. Saiful Amin mail2saiful at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 13:46:59 IST 2014

Greetings.

That document is quite exhaustive, but also makes the upgrade process look
more complicated than it actually is in some cases. Last we upgraded one
DSpace installation from 1.6 to 4.x within couple of hours. Following are
the steps in a nutshell:

1. Install latest DSpace as per documented procedure in a fresh location
(e.g. '/opt/dspace'). Shutdown Tomcat.

2. Copy the backup of old DSpace 'assetstore' in new location
('/opt/dspace/assetstore') with same permissions.

3. Upgrade the database with these steps:
    a) Take backup of old dspace database:
        pg_dump dspace > old-dspace-backup.sql

    b) Create new database:
        createdb -U dspace -E UNICODE dspace4

    c) Import old dspace backup:
        psql dspace4 < old-dspace-backup.sql

    d) Upgrade database schema to the latest (from 1.6 to 4.x):
        cd /opt/dspace/etc/postgres
        psql dspace4 < database_schema_16-17.sql
        psql dspace4 < database_schema_17-18.sql
        psql dspace4 < database_schema_18-3.sql
        psql dspace4 < database_schema_3-4.sql

4. Make necessary changes in 'dspace.cfg' (e.g. to change database name to
'dspace4') and start Tomcat.

5. Re-index the collection:
    cd /opt/dspace
    bin/dspace index-discovery -f

6. Install cron for the dspace 4.x (old cron will not work) as given in
this page:
    https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Scheduled+Tasks+via+Cron

All old user logins and content downloads will work in the new version.

Best regards,
Saiful Amin
+91-9343826438