[LIS-Forum] Fwd: LIBRARIES & THE TAX PROBLEMS: SIGN THE PETITION TO FM by Ishwar Goudar

Swati Bhattacharyya . swati at iimcal.ac.in
Thu Jul 31 20:44:21 IST 2014

My suggestions about the petition are:

1. Please make it more crisp highlighting the problem of TDS/service tax.
The problems with TDS are: (a) foreign publishers will have to take a PAN
and also to submit a tax residency certificate (TRC) (b) publishers
particularly associations do not bother to take Indian PAN (c) associations
which enjoy tax exemptions in their country because of their non-profit
nature cannot produce TRC. I am talking from my experience with JSTOR. They
can produce the certificate stating their tax exemption status. But
Accounts sections are refusing to accept it as TRC and deducting 15-25%
from the invoiced amount. Publishers are considering it a short payment and
either returning the money or keeping it as suspended amount. I have
experience of both these situations.

2. Accounts sections are overacting with section 195 of Income Tax act and
are interpreting that this deduction is applicable even for printed books
and journals. Again I am talking from my own experience. All these will
lead to either too much escalation  of price of e-resources or publishers
refusing to supply and thus weakening the collection of a library.

3. Please include in the petition that all information resources (books,
journals, databases, cases, or any other information producing material)
that may be available in any format (print, electronic, audio-visual or any
other possible format) that are procured by a library to include in its
collection or for use in the classroom (such as cases), must be taken out
of any tax liability.

I am not good at legal language but I hope I could make my points
understandable.

Regards,

Swati Bhattacharyya, Ph.D.
Librarian
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
Joka, Diamond Harbor Road
Kolkata - 700104
India
Phone: 91-33-2467-8300 (Bus extn: 416; Res extn: 106)
Library: http://library.iimcal.ac.in