[LIS-Forum] UGC Infonet Digital Library Consortium discontinued...!

Gopakumar Velayudhanpillai gopakumar.v at rediffmail.com
Tue Jan 28 15:52:52 IST 2014

UGC Infonet Digital Library Consortium discontinued...There is a message running over the header image of UGC Infonet Project website stating that the Project is closed from 31st of March 2012. Yesterday universities received e-mails from INFLIBNET authorities that the UGC Infonet Digital Library Consortium has been discontinued in 12th plan due to paucity of funds.Not able to understand what is happening...!If the universities are trying to subscribe to these journals we will not be able to get even one by tenth of the facilities we get through infonet. This leads to a scary situation. In the 70s and 80s people had to run to big institutions like IISc and IITs to get access to such academic literature. After INFLIBNET came into existence the huge divide existed for access to academic literature was to an extent avoided. Now those days are here again. Authorities at the UGC should take up this issue very seriously and continue with the digital library consortium. Hope the co!
 nfusion will be over in no days.
Dr GOPAKUMAR V.

University Librarian,Goa University

Taleigao Plateau, Goa. PIN 403 206