[LIS-Forum] People's Archive of Rural India

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 21:44:17 IST 2014

Friend's:

Today's The Hindu (Chennai Edition, Magazine section, p.2; 14 Dec 2014)
carries an article on an excellent initiative - a multimedia archive on
Rural India. To be launched on 20 December 2014, this archive "uses cutting
edge technology and new forms of storytelling to document and reflect the
energies of rural Indians." The archive is fully open access (CC 4.0).

The PARI network, founded by Mr P Sainath, began its work of digitization
in 2011. They hope to continue the work with crowd sourcing.

I did not know about this project till I read about it today. But my
impression is it deserves support. Please keep visiting <
http://www.ruralindiaonline.org/>.

Most members of LIS-Forum are familiar with the use of the Internet, the
web and the archiving technology through IRs, PubMed Central, arXiv, the
many databases of astronomy and biology, etc. The PARI archive is about
(rural) people, their lives and their engagement with the external world.
Dame Wendy Hall and her colleagues in the emerging field of Web Science
will be very pleased with it.

Best wishes.

Arun