[LIS-Forum] Formulation of New National Policy on Education by Govt. of India

Dr. A.T. Francis francisaloor at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 12:04:39 IST 2014

Dear Library Professionals,
The Govt. of India is proposed to
formulate new National Policy on Education to meet challenges posed by lack of
quality, research and innovation in our educational institutions. The present
National Policy on Education 1986, as amended in 1992, has been the guiding
document for the policies of the Central Government in the education sector.
Minister for
Human Resources Development Smt. Smriti Irani in the Lok Sabha said, “all
students, irrespective of caste, creed, location or sex, have access to
education of a comparable quality.”
The National
System of Education envisages a common educational structure. The 10+2+3 system
is the generally accepted structure in the country. But, it is sad to say that
the library system (the heart of any education and research institution) in our
country has not got due consideration.  Out of total 15 years of education, some importance has been given to
libraries in colleges and universities (3 years).  But, in the case of school education (10+2 years),
the library system is totally neglected.  Of course, libraries with qualified librarians are there in Central
Schools, CBSE, ICSE, ISE and international schools.  Students studying in these schools are meager
as compared to others.  That means, most
of the schools in the country are running without heart (Library).  So, how we can achieve quality in school
education?.  Learning skill, especially
the self learning skill is better to be imparted at the early childhood and
this will highly determine the life long learning skill of a person. Without
quality in schools, how our higher education and research system can perform
well?.
In Kerala,
about 40 lakhs students are studying in State Controlled schools.  There are no qualified librarians in any of
these schools.  Even some eminent
academicians are of the thought that, other teachers can manage libraries and
provide better library service.  If that
is the scientific approach, why we need special teachers for each subjects?.
So, it is the
primary duty of the library professionals and associations to convince the
authorities the role of libraries and library professionals in education and
research.  The so called academic
administrators will be financially and academically sound to provide all facilities
by themselves to their children, if that can not be provided in the schools,
colleges, or universities.  So, we should
thought of the facilities to all as respected MHRD minister Smt. Smriti Irani
rightly pointed out.
All schools,
colleges and universities should have librarians with similar qualifications
and also in the same cadre and status of the teachers in the particular institution.  As per the UGC norms, all universities should
have University Librarian of equal status of Professor/Registrar.  But, out of total 13 universities in Kerala,
none of them have University Librarian. EVERYBODY
KNOWS THAT LEARNING AND RESEARCH SHOULD START FROM LIBRARY AND THEN APPLY IN
LABORATORY.  IS IT OUR LEARNING AND RESEARCH
WITHOUT FOUNDATION?. SHALL WE NEED A CHANGE IN THIS SITUATION?

Dr. A.T. FRANCIS, MCom, MLISc, NET, PhD
HEAD, LIBRARY
College of Horticulture
Kerala Agricultural University
Thrissur - 680 656, India, 91-9496839409 (m)
francisaloor at yahoo.com