[LIS-Forum] First 24 hour automated library in U.S. installed in Norman

Wed Oct 23 17:04:36 IST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:40:42 +0530
From: Jayadev P Hiremath <jayadevph at gmail.com>

by Bree Steffen  K4TV
<http://kfor.com/author/bree-steffen/>

NORMAN, Okla. – The first 24 hour automated library in the United States
was installed in Norman at Irving Recreation Center.

The concept is similar to Redbox but patrons will not have to use credit
cards, just their library cards to access hundreds of books, audiobooks,
and DVDs.

Patrons can check items out 24 hours a day, seven days a week, rain or
shine. They can even pay fines with credit cards or pick up items placed on
hold.

“There are a lot of installations in China.” Lisa Wells, assistant director
for Library Services, said. “But this is the first United States
installation. We were very excited to be first to bring it to Oklahoma, and
more importantly, the city of Norman.”

The automated library was purchased through EnvisionWare, partnering with
Pioneer Library system.

“Many of my employees said this was my birthday present because that was
yesterday, and it was bringing this system to life yesterday for the first
time in America after 2 and ½ years of research and development.” Mike
Monk, CEO of EnvisionWare, said.
A westside 24 hour library will also be installed. Both the eastside and
westside locations will open by November 1.
--

Warm regards.

Jayadev P Hiremath
Independent Libraries Professional