[LIS-Forum] Retirement on superannuation of a progressive & proactive librarian - Dr. Murari P. Tapaswi Message

Dr. K.P.S.Sengar kps at imtech.res.in
Wed Jul 31 15:01:09 IST 2013

Dear Friends,

I know to Dr. Tapaswi for the past 13 years or so, ever since I joined
CSIR system. During the entire period, I met to him so many times and
learn so many things. I felt that he has been a great CSIR-LIS leader as
well good human being. He is very simple and innovative person. I am
very thankful for his inspiration and leadership to our young CSIR-LIS
professionals. I am Wishing you the very best in a new phase of his
life!

 Thank u very much Sir and best wishes

 KPS Sengar, PhD

Library Officer & DIR Administrator

CSIR-IMTECH, Chandigarh

------------------------------ Message: 4 Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013
11:31:39 +0530 From: "Satyaranjan Sahu" <satya at nio.org> To: "LIS-Forum
(LIS-Forum)" <lis-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in> Subject: [LIS-Forum]
Retirement on superannuation of a progressive & proactive librarian -
Dr. Murari P. Tapaswi Message-ID: <032f01ce8db3$6c578320$45068960$@org>
Progressive and proactive library & information professionals are rare
in India. Some of these professionals dedicatedly work for the
satisfaction of their patrons without publicizing their achievements and
retire on their superannuation without notice of others. But young
professionals should know about them and try to learn & emulate such
achievements. Today on 31st July 2013, one of such librarian in CSIR
setup is going to retire on the superannuation and needs to be
mentioned. This write up is based on my close association with him over
last 10 years. Dr. Murari P. Tapaswi, Chief Scientist (Librarian) is
retiring today on his superannuation after 34 years of career in the
library of CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography. He is specialized in
Information Management & Dissemination and has actively participated in
several projects such as Development of National Information Centre for
Marine Sciences (DSIR-Project), Database of literatures on Indian Ocean
and adjacent water (DSIR project), Database on Indian mangroves (MoEF
Project) and other CSIR projects on libraries & information services.
His work of computer applications for better library & information
services had impressed UNESCO which put NIO library on the international
map in 1985. Soon his vision and expertise was appreciated and India
became the first developing country to be the part of the prestigious
Aquatic Science and Fisheries Information System of Food and Agriculture
Organization (FAO), UN in 1989. Dr. Tapaswi was the only library &
information scientist from a developing country who was selected as a
member of the group of experts in Marine Information Management
(1992-2008) to help the 120-member Intergovernmental Oceanographic
Commission (IOC) of UNESCO in development of marine information
products. He was selected as the chairman of experts group for two times
(1999-2004) for the development of Ocean Data & Information Network in
African countries. He was the member of several national committees on
e-resource negotiation, Open Access Policy, etc. Dr. Tapaswi, an alumnus
of DRTC was always proactive in using technology for better services in
library. An expert in CDS/ISIS with Pascal programming had developed
himself automation package for NIO library during 1990s when it was a
dream in India to automate the library services. The backbone of the
automation package is still in use with modification in Linux OS with
browser based facilities. He is very skillful in
?Bibliometrics/Scientometrics? analysis using CDS/ISIS - Pascal
programming and this skill was used extensively in the institute by
authorities & researchers. His supervision & management has established
the institute website (http://www.nio.org [1]) as a top ranked among the
oceanographic institutions all over the world. As a mentor, he has
guided the Digital Repository Service of NIO (http://drs.nio.org [2]) to
1st ranked institutional repository in India (267th ranking in World).
His role as Public Information Officer and contact person for press,
media and parlia! ment questions are notable and such challenges taken
by library professional are rare. He has visited several countries like
Australia, Belgium, Bermuda, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, South
Africa, Sri Lanka, Thailand, UK and USA for his professional
assignments. There are more than 10 research papers & 3 books to his
credit. Those who are associated with him know well about his sincerity,
discipline and hard work. Main motto of such professionals is ?User
satisfaction? than any award or recognition. On behalf of CSIR library &
Information professionals, I wish him all the best. Thanking you With
Sahu Scientist National Information Centre for Marine Sciences (Library)
National Institute of Oceanography (CSIR-NIO) Dona Paula, Goa - 403 004
Phone: 0832-2450370 (O); Fax-91-(0)832-2450601
LIS-Forum Digest, Vol 124, Issue 35