[LIS-Forum] kindly mail 2 forum members. Open source software

Dr.Dineshan Koovakkai dineshank at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 09:08:29 IST 2013

Dear Mr. Manjunath,
Your detailed observations regarding the use of OSS and commercial software
reveal your deep knowledge and experience.  But the matter of discussion, I
think, is the monopolizing tendency of some commercial vendors.  Your
observation regarding the low level of use of OSS is completely correct.
But, it may not be because of the merits of commercial software.  At least
in library field, I feel that it is because of  the easy going attitude of
we professionals.  We put our responsibility with others and simply find
fault with others.

The situation in America, I think, is different because there are rules for
protecting the customers and making services mandatory.

I hope your suggestion regarding bringing out of a directory of experts in
KOHA and companies which support KOHA will be accepted by the professional
community.

Regards,

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM, G.K.MANJUNATH <gkm at igidr.ac.in> wrote:

>  I do not agree with Mr.Arunachalam's remarks - "Many Institutions have
>  squandered public funds ".
>
>  Open source software, whether Operating System or Applications software,
> are
>  available for  many other applications too and  only for libraries. I
>  would like to highlight few of these:
>
>  According to some experts, 'R' is a good open source software available
> for
>  statistical analysis. But, how many of the statisticians and social
>  scientists from the publicly funded institutions and Government
> Departments
>  are using it ?  Why majority of them still demand for and use expensive
>  commercial software such as SPSS, Matlab, SAS, Gauss, Stata, Mathematica,
>  LIMDEP, GAMS, etc.?
>
>  Linux is an open source Operating System. How many of the publicly funded
>  institutions have completely abandoned Windows OS and are using OSS for
>  workstations /PCs or for server applications?  How many of these
> institutions are using Open Office instead of MS-Office.  If not, why ?
>
>  Why majority of the libraries in United States and European countries are
>  using commercial software ?  I do not have any empirical evidence to quote
>  the numbers. However, my observations and discussion with professional
>  friends during my visits to some of the these places revealed that
> majority
>  of the big libraries in these countries prefer commercial software.
>
>  It is an understatement to say that people are now seeing the light at the
>  end of tunnel. I would like to delineate reasons and compulsion Indian
>  libraries had to use the commercial software and to continue with it.
> When no
>  suitable open source software meeting all the local requirements was
>  available to libraries, there was no option but to go in for commercial
>  software.
>
>  Library automation using commercial software began some time in late
> 1980's
>  and during this period no open source software was available. For that
>  matter, no user friendly, easy to install and ready to use OSS was
> available
>  till 2006 or so. Lots of experiments have been conducted on OSS, some with
>  success and some with no or limited success.We always proudly share our
>  success stories with others, but refrain from sharing the failures.
>  Authorities in many institutions insist on quick implementation using a
>  tested commercial software rather on experimenting with OSS, indefinitely.
>  Secondly, it is slightly difficult to migrate to OSS or any other software
>  when one is highly conversant with the existing one.
>
>  Therefore, I would like to know from those libraries, who migrated from
>  commercial software to Open source software, the following :
>
>  1. How much money ( Direct and Indirect cost )  and time was spent on data
>    migration and customization?

> [...]

Dr.Dineshan Koovakkai *MA; MLISc; PGDEC; PGDCA; DCHN; NET; PhD.*
Assistant Librarian & Co-ordinator, NMEICT
Nodal Officer, Higher Education Survey
Associate Editor, CUK Newsletter
Central University of Kerala
Vidyanagar P.O.