[LIS-Forum] Data collection through Right to Information request - Is it right to do so?

Gopakumar Velayudhanpillai gopakumar.v at rediffmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:46:32 IST 2012

Dear friendsI am posting this to know about your opinion on a tendency found among research scholars now a days. I have been getting questionnaires of PhD research under the Right to Information Act. As you are aware most of these questionnaires are of minimum 8 to 10 pages and the questions are mostly to be answered on a personal level.
Right to Information is a statute designed and promulgated with a specific cause to bring transparency to the governance and its machinery. But this seems to be misutilized by many for personal purposes. One example is this. Data collection for research is the real task in research and you have to enjoy this with utmost sportsman spirit. If there are occasions were you are not getting minute data which are essential, you may use this method. I am more worried about this as this tendency is more among library science professionals.
Dr GOPAKUMAR V.

University Librarian,Goa University

Taleigao Plateau, Goa. PIN 403 206

Personal webpage