[LIS-Forum] LIBRARY SERVICE IS MANDATORY IN ALL SCHOOLS FROM KG ONWARDS

Dr. A.T. Francis francisaloor at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 09:59:18 IST 2012

Dear all,
Let me share some points on the views of Sinu Manoharan, posted in LIS Forum.
We in Kerala is running or developing Model School, Model Police Station, Model Village Office, Model Hospital, Model Panchayath and so on.  But, it is the fate of poor people in Kerala that they have to settle/satisfy with the Schools controlled by Govt. of Kerala.  In these schools, even though there is no library and self learning system, students will get promotion in all classes.  Here there is no effective mechanism to assess the quality and capability of these students in comparison with other students.  But, it is a fact that all well to do parents, including Civil Service personnel, teachers, farmers, industrialists etc., are eager to select the CBSE or ICSE or even Internationals Systems for their children.
I fear that is there any deliberate thinking from the political leadership or higher officials of the Govt. not to provide library service in the Kerala Govt. controlled schools and at the same time admitting their children in CBSE or ICSE or International Schools.  Sometimes this may be an indirect conspiracy to keep away the poor people always poor by denying their primary necessity or quality education.
But, as a library professional we should keep our philosophy and ethics of the profession to provide quality information and knowledge to all.  In this race, first we should unite together through library associations and fight for the primary requirement of our society.  Though, I am not satisfied with the activities of our associations, in this juncture, it is high time to evaluate ourselves and find out "in how many associations we are members?."  Let me disclose that I am a Life Member of four national associations.  This membership was took 25 years back immediately on completed BLISc.  I hope one day the children of poor people can enjoy good library services.

Dr. A.T. FRANCIS, MCom, MLISc, NET, PhD
HEAD, LIBRARY & IT NODAL OFFICER
College of Horticulture
Kerala Agricultural University
Thrissur - 680 656, India, 91-9496839409 (m)
francisaloor at yahoo.com