[LIS-Forum] Seminar

Wed Nov 14 12:17:18 IST 2012

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:08:59 +0530
From: Amit Shaw <amitdrtc at gmail.com>

INDIAN STATISTICAL INSTITUTE

DOCUMENTATION RESEARCH AND TRAINING CENTRE

8TH Mile Mysore Road, Bangalore-560059

DRTC Seminar 2011-2013

  DETECTION OF BRAIN TUMOUR USING ONTOLOGY

  Abstract

For the diagnosis and detection of brain tumour, as well as to aid the
medical practitioners in the investigation of the same, the need of a
computer based diagnosis system proves to be helpful. This would not only
help them in their various investigation procedures, but also give them a
support system to diagnose problems that they might have otherwise
overlooked. This seminar presentation is specifically designed to represent
the ontological relationship based on  particular domain of brain tumour
for its improved detection and as a tool for better help to the medical
practitioner for their practice in the particular field.*

Brain Tumour is one of the most deadly disease in India. It contributes
significantly to morbidity, often affecting children and overall have a
poor prognosis. Due to marketed resistance to radiation and chemotherapy,
the prognosis for patients with Glioblastomas is very poor and less than 3%
survive more than 3 year.  This paper presents a semantic approach to
develop a decision making support system to support new medicine
practitioner, who are new in this field before prescribe/ recommend any
treatment or therapy, he/ she would be able to understand what will be the
possible treatment available and their effect on the patient. For helping
new professional and clinical guideline we develop this brain tumour
ontology. We present our brain tumour ontology which models the knowledge
from patient’s electronic records. In this paper we discuss the ontology
building process using the Protégé 4.1 ontology editor and also highlight
the specification of our Brain Tumour Ontology in terms of clinical
concepts and relationships between the concepts which are represented in
the OWL class and properties.*

Speaker: Subhashis Das,MS(LIS)

Venue : DRTC Classroom,

Date: 15th  Nov 2012

Time : 02:00 P.M.

All are cordially invited.

Dr Devika P Madalli and Dr. Saiful. Amin

Seminar Coordinator