[LIS-Forum] Library train captivates kids

Jayadev P Hiremath jayadevph at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:50:19 IST 2012

HATLEY -- Children visiting the Hatley branch of the Marathon County Public
Library have been captivated by the library's latest addition.

An electric Thomas the Train set now hovers high above the heads of library
patrons. The train, a donation to the library from an anonymous donor, runs
on a circular rail suspended from the ceiling.

Library assistant Karen Johnson said the train is a big hit.

"The kids absolutely love it. So do the parents," she said.

Alyiah Taylor-Medina, 5, of Weston stood transfixed as she watched the
train go around during one of her weekly visits to the library. Aliyah
typically spends several days a week in Hatley where her uncle, Jeremiah
Taylor, 32, of Hatley brings her to story hour every Tuesday morning.

"I love the library," Alyiah said. "I love the stuffed animals and all the
stories and the train, too."

Johnson said the library asked community members, through a newsletter
early last year, to consider donating a train for the children's section.
When presented with the train set in May, she said she was pleasantly
surprised by the gift.

"I wasn't expecting anything quite so nice. This is quite a valuable
train," Johnson said.

Three additional anonymous donors stepped forward to donate the time and
talent necessary to build a track, which includes mountains and a tunnel.
Johnson's husband, Glenn Johnson, also of Hatley, designed the suspension
system to hang the train from the ceiling, well out of harm's way. The
train, which moves forward and backward at varying speeds, is operated by a
switch that is out of the children's reach but easily accessible for most
parents.

Johnson said the library constantly searches for ways to capture children's
interest, and the train was a perfect way to do just that.
"The train brings the kids in and keeps them quiet, too," Johnson said.
"It's mesmerizing."

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20120504/WDH100201/205040323/Library-train-captivates-kids