[LIS-Forum] !!DOOMSDAY!!! nearing for our Profession (if we sleep now)

Niraj Barua nbar at iitg.ernet.in
Sat Jun 30 00:21:59 IST 2012

Dear all and respected ones. I thank each and everyone who have shown
their concern regarding my earlier message. In this regard i have
following observations:

1. First and foremost Library jobs must
be reserved for Library Professionals like the Doctors job in the
Hospital.

2. We must sincerley follow ethics of librarianship
without following the ethics of Computer professionals.

3.
Librarianship must be the Master and technolgy its Servant and not the
otherway.

4.If we go too much after technology we shall be
nowhere, as if like the small fish in the big ocean full of Sharks.

5. Technology should be the means and not an end to the Library
professional values and ethics.

6. Many of us are unknowingly
welcoming the dvelopments which encourages People from other profession
(one can guess easily!!!) to encroach our field of practice.

7.
At this hour of crisis we must be united locally, nationally and
internationally.

8. Professional association must not sleep in
the hour of crisis. These are the forums through which we can raise our
concern in a proactive manner.

9. I suggest all local and state
library associations to place signed memorandums to the National level
library organizations like IASLIC,SIS,IATLIS who can convey such concern
to the respective Governments for necessary redressal.

Niraj Barua
9435346637(Mobile)
niraj_barua at yahoo.co.in.