[LIS-Forum] Book returned to library after 80 years

Sambhu Nath Halder sambhu.halder at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:24:47 IST 2012

*Dear Professionals, *

* *

*There is an interesting newscast at *ANI | Jul 14, 2012, 12.00AM IST **

* *

*A book that had been issued from Navan library in the Republic of
Ireland<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Republic-of-Ireland>,
has been returned 80 years late.*

A mystery borrower slipped the book discreetly through the letterbox at the
county library at the weekend.

It was checked out in 1932. County
librarian<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/County-librarian>
Ciaran
Mangan <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Ciaran-Mangan> estimates
that the book has chalked up a fine of 4,160 euros, based on the original
1930s fine of one penny per week. But they are just delighted to see it
back.

"It was an item that had been out on loan effectively since it was
published and put into stock and the system in 1932," the
BBC<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/BBC>quoted him as saying.

The librarian calculated the fine incurred by the book, but they would like
to make a bargain for the penalty.

"As good Christians, we decided we would waive that fine if the person
appears in person and confesses to having returned the book," the librarian
said.

There are no details on the original borrower because the library's
computerised records only date back to 1994.

However, someone may have had their conscience pricked because the overdue
book is a pictorial record of the 31st International Eucharistic Congress
in Dublin <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Dublin> in 1932.

The 50th International Eucharistic Congress takes place in Dublin next
month.

The book has generated a lot of interest.

"We believe it was well cared for and was probably shelved with the
family's collection, getting lost among their own books.

"We have it on display as it is attracting a lot of attraction," Mangan
said.

Reference:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/books/Book-returned-to-library-after-80-years/articleshow/13809839.cms

--