[LIS-Forum] Software for checking plagiarism

Francis Jayakanth franc at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Jan 31 16:53:45 IST 2012

Dear Members, In response to the above request of mine, couple of members
have given their inputs to me off the list. I'm thankful to all of them.

The consolidated responses are given below:

1. gayathri devi <gayathridevi.bangalore at gmail.com>

Turnitin - proprietary software... when bargained for good
nos. is quite cheap.. the databases that Turnitin acts is wide and
gives a good result.

I haven't worked on opensource plagiarism software.
whatever, i had experience, i have shared with u.

2. Prof. N. Laxman Rao. <naglaxman at yahoo.com>

as ur institution is member of INFLIBNET and Infonet, they are giving
this software to many univ wh o will sign MOU for theses archival

3.Shamprasad Pujar <pujar at igidr.ac.in>

I think online 'Plagiarisma.Net' does a decent job, but I am not sure
to what extent it is useful in detecting plagiarism. Some of our
library users are happy about it.

I hope it would be useful.

4. Ramachandran Guruprasad <gprasad61 at gmail.com>

There are a number of free software available on the Net for checking
plagiarism. Some of them are payed.

A simple google query: software to check plagiarism

gives you umpteen URLS.

One of them, of which I have read decent reviews is this:

http://www.plagiarism-detector.com/?gclid=COr2wK7m6q0CFYkc6wod5h5I5g

5.  Bhushan <chinthacn at gmail.com>

There is one "Viper"software it is not a Open source but it's Free have a
look at http://www.scanmyessay.com/viperdownload_aca.html

With best wishes,

  - Francis

NCSI, IISc