[LIS-Forum] NCSI training programme: a few facts Re: EPT Award to Dr Francis Jayakanth - Congratulations

Anuradha.K.T. anu at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Jan 31 13:27:48 IST 2012

Dear Dr.Goudar,

I would like to comment on your views about NCSI training programme:
> It is unfortunate that NCSI is virtually closed. The legacy of
> my friend Late Dr. T.B. Rajashekar, one of the India's best LIS teacher
> and
> researcher, who was responsible in starting the NCSI course came to an end
> with his untimely tragic death. While the Institute did not take necessary
> steps to continue the course, friends like Francis have been doing their
> best to continue the works and contributions of Dr. Rajashekar. I hope our
> Professional friends will make use of  expertise of Dr Francis in setting
> up of IRs in their organisations.

As you have mentioned, NCSI training programme did not come to an end with
Dr.Rajashekar's untimely death. In 2002 when NCSI became a department in
IISc, Prof.Menon, who was chairman of NCSI at that time, sought NISSAT's
help to fund the training programme and during that period the training
programme was thoroughly revised and it took altogether a new dimension.
Some of the revised features include: The course duration was increased to
one and a half years, several new courses were introduced, stipend was
enhanced and the training programme was given a very good structure with
three hours theory in the morning and three hours lab work in the
afternoon.  NISSAT funded the programme upto 2005. Later IISc supported
for two more batches i.e. upto 2008. Later, due to several administrative
and managerial problems the training programme was discontinued.

Over a period of time NCSI evolved as a unique information service
center with a blend of service, research and training components. When one
of the components namely training programme was discontinued, it became very
difficult to operate in the same manner as it was operating because of
lack of very important component namely 'trained manpower'. The closing of
NCSI (if at all it happens!!) hurts the staff of NCSI (who are working at
NCSI for a long time and who know everything about NCSI), more than anyone
else.

Regards,
Anuradha

--